PDA

View Full Version : AC Jr. w/ DC8 not firing (x2) 6' VHO on IC 430

rvordermark
06/19/2010, 11:10 PM
I have recently changed tanks and upgraded my VHO system controlled by AquaContoller Jr. attached to a DC8 which now does not want to fire the ballast.

My previous system (which worked with the AC Jr./ DC8 combo) was the ICE CAP 430 (330w) which ran 2-4 foot (110w) VHO bulbs.

My new system (which doesn't work with the AC Jr. / DC8 combo) is the exact same ICE CAP 430 (330w) which now is running 2 - 6 foot (160w) VHO bulbs.

This system will work on a conventional (mechanical) timer or when plugged-in manually.

Any thoughts on why the AC Jr. / DC8 would not work? The only thing to change to the fluorescent system was adding 4 total feet of VHO bulbs - everything else is the same. BTW - everything else with the AC Jr / DC8 is being controlled just fine an is in prefect working order.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

aquamanic
06/20/2010, 06:37 AM
What outlets on the DC8 are you using? Have you tried this on 4 or 8? The TRIAC outlets don't handle high current surges as well as the mechanical relays do. Maybe that has something to do with it.

rvordermark
06/23/2010, 11:00 PM
Thank you for the reply, Alan.

I'm using position 1 on the DC8. I'll try 4 or 8 and see what happens.

Are you suggesting that the load is too great now that I have increased the amount of wattage (load) by going to 6' bulbs?

I'll let you know how it goes.