PDA

View Full Version : High Alk

purge43
06/20/2010, 11:10 AM
Something has changed with my city water supply. My make-up water for water changes is now 16. I use ro-di. I see on the market plenty of things to raise the alk, but i havent found anything to bring it down and i really dont want to install a water softener. Any advice??

bertoni
06/20/2010, 04:14 PM
16 dKH is a little high, but possibly okay for small water changes, if you don't mind adjusting the alkalinity dosing of the tank a bit.

Muriatic acid can be used to drop the alkalinity in water for changes, but overdosing is very easy, so I'd never recommend using it in a display tank. Muriatic acid is fairly dangerous to handle for household chemical, too. There are products like pH Down, I believe, that contain sulfuric acid. They would be safer, but a lot more expensive.

HighlandReefer
06/21/2010, 08:10 AM
Something has changed with my city water supply. My make-up water for water changes is now 16. I use ro-di. I see on the market plenty of things to raise the alk, but i havent found anything to bring it down and i really dont want to install a water softener. Any advice??

Does your TDS of your rodi effluent read zero now and has it read zero in the past?