PDA

View Full Version : pH high, will my clownfish make it?

szatquo
06/20/2010, 08:10 PM
Hey,
I did all my tests for my new tank after 1.5 months...and everything read out fine.I purchased a nice pair of clowns today and a pH monitor at my LFS. I calibrated it properly(did it twice bc i did not believe it at first) and it is telling me the pH is at 8.7
I am very worried about my clowns bc I spent 500 on them and I dont want to lose them.

What is the most effective way to lower it to 8.3...in the quickest fashion.. without causing a crash and killing my fish?

Please help

traveller7
06/20/2010, 10:39 PM
First, fast in saltwater nearly always bad.

Second, I prefer to try water changes with NSW at a pH of target range but with a pH at 8.7, I'd like to find out why it is that high to begin with.

Are you dosing anything?
Running reactors of some sort?

szatquo
06/21/2010, 10:15 AM
scott...what did u mean by your first line of advice?
I have not dosed anything...which is why I'm confused

DeathWish302
06/21/2010, 10:25 AM
He means SLOWLY shift the pH from 8.7 to optimal (8.0-8.4; they will be debates on 'optimal').

Try this on for size:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.php

I've never had this problem, but have read soda water and vinegar is good for this problem. I would prefer the soda water, as I've had sporatic bacterial blooms with vinegar when carbon dosing.

Also, are you using a skimmer or bubbler? This could also equalize the lack of CO2.

HTH

rkelman
06/21/2010, 07:08 PM
Woah. Don't do ANYTHING until you get a second opinion. Get a test kit and confirm the results before trying to lower the ph. Definitely do it slowly if the test kit backs up your ph meter. What calibration fluids did you use?