PDA

View Full Version : Putting Kalwasser reactor online.. Doing the math.. :)

cwegescheide
06/20/2010, 08:38 PM
Hi guys,

I decided to put a kalkwasser reactor online recently to help combat my low PH since its too hot to keep my windows open.

Currently I am dosing Randy's 2 part with baked baking soda @ 1cup/gallon, so basically half strength. Randy once said that baked 2 part at full strength is about 45 times more "concentrated" than saturated kalk without the addition of vinegar.

My system is about 140 gallons total and filled with about 80 SPS frags so keeping up with my alk/ca is important. Based on Randys statement (baked 2 part at full strength being 45 times more potent than kalk I came up with the following equation:

CURRENTLY USING 2part AT HALF STRENGTH 1cup/gallon baked...

30ml of 2part @ 1cup/gallon = 30 * 23 (1/2 of Randy's calcultation on potency) = 690ml of saturated kalkwasser thru my reactor.

I am going to start with this amount of kalk and see what this does to my PH and go from there.

Also do you guys think running my mixer on my kalk reactor 2x/day would be sufficient? I'm thinking that should be ok. It probably holds about 2 gallons of water mixed w/kalk at any given time.

Thanks!
Chris

HighlandReefer
06/21/2010, 07:15 AM
You will have to experiment with your kalk reactor to see if in fact it will meet your alk demand. You will want to adjust it to meet alk demand. If after experimenting with the reactor's adjustments, you are not able to meet your demand, then you will have to use additional supplementation with two-part.

One thing you can do is use the Chemistry Calculator after you know what your daily alk usage and your daily evaporation rate. You can use the saturated kalk water as a guide. If it takes more saturated kalk water then what your evaporation rate is, then you will need to use addition supplements with two-part. Testing the kalk reactor's effluent pH may help in trying to determine if your reactor is supplying saturated kalk water. The pH should be close to 8.45 which is that of saturate kalk water. I would use a pH meter for this.

For example, with a 140 gallon (actual water) system, that uses 2 dKH of alk daily, it will take about 2.45 US gallons of saturated kalk water to meet your demand. If your evaporation rate is less then 2.45 gallons with the 2 dKH daily alk usage, you will need additional supplement with two-part or look into other methods to increase your daily evaporation rate.

cwegescheide
06/21/2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the reply.. I'm sorry I should have been a little more clear.

I am actually dosing WAY more 2part than 30ML's.. I'm only using kalk for giving my PH a boost. I will continue to dose 2 part thru my Litermeter as well. The reason for my post is for somebody to check my math and see if what i'm trying to do makes sense.. I guess I could figure out how much DKH is in 2part mixed at 1 cup/gallon and go from there.

Thanks!
Chris

HighlandReefer
06/21/2010, 03:15 PM
Well, 1 gallon of Randy's #1 alk supplement, sodium carbonate (saturated), will contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH). That's 2 cups of baked baking soda added to 1 gallon of water. I'll let you do the math from there. :lol:

bertoni
06/21/2010, 04:45 PM
The sodium bicarbonate solution is about half the strength, so it's about a factor of 20 times more powerful than saturated kalkwasser. So 30 ml of is about 600 ml of kalk, which is about what you computed. I think your answer is a bit more precise. :)

There are a bunch of issues involved with an actual tank. The kalkwasser is probably not saturated coming from the reactor. I don't know why, but that seems to be the case. Secondly, raising the pH likely will increase the consumption rate, so the tank might need more alkalinity per day.

In any case, the limewater drip might help a fair amount. :)

cwegescheide
06/22/2010, 08:45 AM
The sodium bicarbonate solution is about half the strength, so it's about a factor of 20 times more powerful than saturated kalkwasser. So 30 ml of is about 600 ml of kalk, which is about what you computed. I think your answer is a bit more precise. :)

There are a bunch of issues involved with an actual tank. The kalkwasser is probably not saturated coming from the reactor. I don't know why, but that seems to be the case. Secondly, raising the pH likely will increase the consumption rate, so the tank might need more alkalinity per day.

In any case, the limewater drip might help a fair amount. :)

Thats good to know.. Thanks Bertoni :thumbsup:

bertoni
06/22/2010, 04:23 PM
You're welcome! Good luck!