PDA

View Full Version : Refugium Problem and Question

Stuart60611
06/21/2010, 09:32 AM
Well, for quite a while my 125 fowlr with 55 gallon sump was runing very clean without any nuisance algae in the display. Well, for the last several months the nusiance algae has started to take hold in the display. After trying all the typical means battle the algae, the algae is slowly geting worse (not real bad yet, but will get there eventually). In racking my brain trying to figure out what was causing it, I had an epiphany last night. My 55 gallon sump is divided evenly between an equipment area and refugium area. On the refugium side, there is nothing in the refugium except a large amount of base rock (filled to the top). Well, after looking closely at the refugium last night, I noticed quite a bit of traped detritus deep within the rocks stacked therein. There is no real way of syphoning out the detritus without removing all the rocks which would be a real pain.

My plan is to obtain some bristle worms, spaghetti worms, and micro crustacians to stock the refugium and eat all of this detritus which I think is the source of my algae issues. Does this sound like it should work because my understanding is the worms are real good at eating this gunk and multiple on their own sufficiently to deal with eating the amount of detritus in the system?

In this regard, anyone know the best place to purchase the worms and micro crustacians. I am aware of inland aquaitics, Indio Pacific Farms, and Live Aquatrix, but I was wondering if there any other vendors for these items.

mm949
06/21/2010, 11:39 AM
sounds like a plan...but u should first remove as much crud as possible
the easiest way is to drop a large flow powerhead pointed down to stir off the excess into the bag filters

if your current system doesnt have all the "critters" already thriving you might not be able to support new additions

Stuart60611
06/21/2010, 11:52 AM
sounds like a plan...but u should first remove as much crud as possible
the easiest way is to drop a large flow powerhead pointed down to stir off the excess into the bag filters

if your current system doesnt have all the "critters" already thriving you might not be able to support new additions

That is a good idea, or I may just bite the bullet and remove the rock from the refugium and syphon out all the gunk and put the rock back in. As far as my system being able to support new additions, I am pretty sure that will not be an issue. The reason I think that I do not have them already is my system consists entirely of base rock so they really were never introduced in the system. My system is, however, loaded with pods so I would imagine that worms and micro crustacians would also have no problem surviving in my system.