PDA

View Full Version : Another person needing lighting advice...

gallivanmk
06/21/2010, 11:59 AM
I am kind of just not getting back into this hobby and I need some advice on what lighting I should go with. I have had reef tanks set-up for about 6 or 7 years now, but the last big reef-oriented one I had was a 240 that I broke down 2 years ago. I took my clowns, anemone, and a couple of small fish and made a 62 hexagon into a clown/anemone display while I have been moving around.

The hexagon blew a seam last week and I decided to go ahead and "upgrade" to a standard 90 gallon with a single overflow. I was able to use some equipment from the 240 (it is still in storage) which was nice, but the lights were the only thing I sold when I broke it down. I was running two 48" Outer Orbit MH fixtures then. I have never used T-5s, but I am considering it now. I would just like some advice since the fixtures, etc. have changed some in the last few years and now some people are going with LEDs.

I have always had mixed reefs and enjoy being able to keep just about everything, but I do tend to concentrate on zoas, rics, and LPS. Right now, I have 3 types of zoas, a random tree leather that I guess has been hitch hiking since the 240, but must have been upside down since as I just saw a tiny frag of it again, and a monti cap coral that has also been hitch hiking since the 240 and refuses to slow down growing. At the moment, I have a 24" Outer Orbit fixture with one 150w MH centered over the tank until I decide what to do.

I am thinking MH or T-5, but then again, when I look back at some of the softie TOTMs, I see that they use PCs.... Ugh, help?

tallreefguy
06/21/2010, 02:29 PM
I currently run a 90 gallon setup (single overflow) with 2x250 watt halides. 14k phoenix. I keep everything in there & everything is thriving (esp. my leathers!)
I'm not sure how well corals will do with 2x150 watt halides. Probably most everything except SPS.
If you go to T5HO, I would say go for a 6x54 watt t5ho setup. It'll give you an even spread of light across the tank & great par. But do yourself and corals a favor and get a good fixture with individual reflectors, and active cooling is a plus. I'd say either a Sunlight supply Tek fixture or ATI fixture. www.reefgeek.com has the good stuff.
Bulb cost will be approx the same for either setup.
You may run into heat issues with the halides. (I do and I run a chiller)
But T5's you have the options to change colors, lower power usage lower heat.
If you want the shimmer, grab a high powered LED strip to supplement the T5's