PDA

View Full Version : squamossa clam

onegreenray
05/10/2003, 04:19 AM
is it better to put a squamossa clam in the sand bed or on the rocks? i have had it on the rocks but it keeps knocking it self off. i am going to try the sand bed. don't want him to hurt himself.

wastwage
05/10/2003, 05:49 AM
nice pic on the sand!

johnrags1234
05/10/2003, 07:06 AM
Id put it in the sand, if its lighting requirements are met in the botttom of the tank. Nice looking Squamosa too BTW! If it is knocking itself off the rocks, it means it doesnt want to be there, so again. Id try the sand.

traveller7
05/10/2003, 08:31 AM
My Squamosas are growing fine on the sand.

AQUAN8TOR
05/10/2003, 12:37 PM
I see from your "current tanks" list you have a 40g salt tank. Is this a 40 breeder?? If it is, that's one of my favorite tank sizes, large or small. Right now, most of my free time is dedicated to upgrading or something with my own 40 br, which is a little cramped. Point being, what kind of lighting do you have? IMHO, even with vho or compacts, a squamosa will probably do fine on the sand--a 40br is only 16" deep.

Also, I've personally tried to get my squamosa to attatch to rock with no success. The croceas and maximas have no problem; it seems that the (very) small, almost nonexistent byssal openings of squamosas keep them from attatching quickly. At least, in my limited experience. Within a couple weeks on a rock, all my maximas attatch themselves quite firmly, as with the croceas.

AQUAN8TOR
05/10/2003, 12:38 PM
ps....traveller, I'm very jealous of your setup. nuff said.

traveller7
05/10/2003, 01:47 PM
jazzyreef, Thanks and I am jealous of the way it should be, but I have been battling leaks in the 350 for the last few weeks :eek2: Poor clams are spread out in a 60, 70, and 80 until this thing is fixed.

To keep it on topic: The 2 Squamosas, 2 Croceas, Derasa, and Hippopus are all on the sand ;)

onegreenray
05/10/2003, 01:59 PM
thanks for all the advice. i use a 250 mh that is 10,000k, accented with two 55 watt actrics, also have a 96 watt smart light strip that covers back of tank. light isn't the issue so much. my olny fear is bristle worms. i have a few hear and there but nothing huge. could you guys post some pics of your tanks? curious what your setups look like.

traveller7
05/10/2003, 07:04 PM
In all the years I have been keeping tanks, I have never experienced a problem with bristleworms. Well, I guess I did find out why they were called bristleworms, I now recommend handling them with gloves ;)

They are beneficial in almost all tanks and they have no problem climbing rocks to get at detritus so sand or rock placement makes little difference.

onegreenray
05/10/2003, 07:51 PM
cool,
thanks traveller