PDA

View Full Version : web seal repair

royvoss
06/21/2010, 06:36 PM
i picked a custom tank that is about 2 years old, built by aquairum obessed. the inside seal was damage by the owner with a scraper. it is not bad . the tank hold water fine. would like to repair it(if possible) before i set it up. what sealer should i use? or would it be better to have someone do it for me.

thanks roy

NanoReefWanabe
06/22/2010, 11:49 AM
i am pretty sure all of AO tanks were built using either RTV or Dow Silicone...they are no longer in business now though. :(

do you have pictures of the seal?

how big is the tank? replacing the seal is a fairly easy job in terms of what you have to do...though it is also quite daunting and tedious...the old silicone has to be meticulously scraped and cleaned away, you then have to remove all the residue left by the silicone...which can be done mechanically or chemically...either way you have to be very careful not to damage the integrity of the structural seal....after that the new seal has to be done in one continuous go, no stopping for a pop or to go pee...plan ahead. for best results mask all the corners leaving about a 3/8 - 1/2" gap depending on how big you like your seal....

royvoss
06/22/2010, 03:45 PM
it is 180 gal 6x2x2, thank is only 2 years old , the orignal owner was just a bit careless with the scraper.

royvoss
06/23/2010, 06:15 AM
ttt

royvoss
06/24/2010, 06:26 AM
thnaks for the help , it should work out fine.