PDA

View Full Version : which clams do best on the sand bed?

Darkstar22
06/21/2010, 06:50 PM
I have an SPS tanks that has been set up with a clam in mind. I think the tank is ready now. The clam will be in my 20G long tank directly below a 250w MH 14k Phoenix on the sand bed. Here is a pic of the hopeful location!
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

Darkstar22
06/21/2010, 06:51 PM
FTS shows the setup, and the close ups show the location right in the middle on the sand bed! MH is directly above!

Crustman
06/21/2010, 08:46 PM
Derasa and Squamosa are best for sand.

tahoe61
06/21/2010, 09:01 PM
+1 point on.

Darkstar22
06/21/2010, 09:10 PM
Derasa and Squamosa. So do they need to attach to anything or do they burro into the sand bed? Also will they get really big as this is a small tank.
Thanks

PiXieCath
06/21/2010, 09:16 PM
Both don't really need to attach. And yes, both get really larges...I own 2 squamosa for few years and they are now around 10'' each. Definitly not a clam for a small tank.

PiXieCath
06/21/2010, 09:23 PM
Despite the fact that they get huge, they are Ca and alk suckers...even if I get a kalk reactor, I had a hard time to maintain a high level of Ca and alk...so forget it in a such small tank, you will loose all your hair to get your params on the high side.

Darkstar22
06/22/2010, 04:51 AM
thanks. I may have to pass for now then!

moliken
06/22/2010, 04:53 AM
there is no prob in keeping a maxi in the sand at all. put a small rock in the sand under him to grab onto, and he will be fine. check out all the pics in the "let's see your clams" thread on this page that show great success w/maxis in sand. there are NO hard and fast rules for where to place them, by species. in the wild, lots are in the sand, maxis and others, fully exposed to sun and rain and air in low tide, by the thousands.
don't pass. long live jerry, dark.

PiXieCath
06/22/2010, 09:49 AM
Humm...personally, I'll not get anything that a crocea in a 20gal. They tends to stay smaller than the maxima and their growth rate is slower too. Here, I own a maxima who now reach 6.5'' after only 3 years (I purchased it at 3.5'') and I've seen many maxima at around 7'' and more... You can get a maxi, but you'll probably have to get ride of it if you don't get a larger tank in a not so far future.

Anyway, as moliken say, you can made the crocea to attach on a small piece of rock and put in on the sand. IMO, crocea clam are the better choice for small tank.(as long as you get enough light...wich seems ok in your tank).;-)

NYCBOB
06/22/2010, 01:34 PM
with a 250w mh over a 20, any clam would do. as stated above, squamosa and deresa clams r known to live on substrate.

PiXieCath
06/22/2010, 02:12 PM
with a 250w mh over a 20, any clam would do. as stated above, squamosa and deresa clams r known to live on substrate.

I agree about the light need, 250w mh over a 20gal is enough for any clam... but what about the size of the tank? Derasa, squamosa and maxima will outgrow a 20gal too way fast IMO...

moliken
06/22/2010, 03:15 PM
face it--in the time it takes for a maxi to outgrow dark's tank, he'll have a bigger one and more clams, not that he shouldn't consider a crocea either. just going by his preference.

PiXieCath
06/22/2010, 04:43 PM
face it--in the time it takes for a maxi to outgrow dark's tank, he'll have a bigger one and more clams, not that he shouldn't consider a crocea either. just going by his preference.

Mine is 6.5'' after only 3 years...but anyway, the last choice effectively go to darkstar, I just give my opinion. I'll never throw some rocks to anyone who don't follow my advice!:worried:

Darkstar22
06/22/2010, 04:58 PM
Well, thanks for all the advice, that's why I love this site! The center area is about 6" x 8" in the 20L SPS Reef, and there is a 40G build almost ready to start. I only have to build my stand, and drill the tank! Its a 40 Breeder, and will be a mixed reef with a 250w MH 14K Phoenix, and 2 39W T5s. The MH is in a Lumenmax Elite reflector with a Lumatec Digital Ballast.

PiXieCath
06/22/2010, 05:19 PM
Hihi! If the upgrade is in process, I'll definitly go with a maxima!:-)

moliken
06/22/2010, 08:53 PM
YAY. i can see the future: 4 clams in the 40.

Darkstar22
06/22/2010, 09:42 PM
So are the Maxima's the best clams? Sounds like you all like them, and I've seen that they have good colors. Anyway, yes I have absolutely every component to build the 40 Breeder. I just need the time! LoL. My other half doesn't think the next tank is as important as other things around the house! Seriously though it should be online, and ready in a few months. Once the summer rush of things dies down. I find my aquarium builds to be a fall/winter thing! Now to shop for that clam! I'll be reading and asking as many questions as possible!

PiXieCath
06/22/2010, 10:02 PM
Crocea and maxima can both do well in your system. Crocea need a little more lightning than the maxima, but with your 250w MH, it's not a concern. Finally, it's only about preference...I personally prefer maxima for their paterns, but other prefer crocea for their colors. So, go with the clam who will beat your heart!;-) (hihi! maybe both!)

Darkstar22
06/23/2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks for all the info. I like the Maxima's too. Very nice.

Darkstar22
06/23/2010, 04:30 PM
I've been reading, and wondering how much a problem are hermits to clams? I have hermits in my tank, and they do a wonderful job of scavenging, but I wouldn't want them to hurt the clam when I get it. Anybody have clams, and hermits?

scapes
06/23/2010, 05:34 PM
hermits won't hurt your clams

Darkstar22
06/23/2010, 05:43 PM
hey, that's good to know!

moliken
06/23/2010, 06:40 PM
should not be a prob, but every once in a while a crab, no matter how nice might get hungry and take a nip. unlikely, but...

Darkstar22
06/23/2010, 08:36 PM
Great. I can't wait to get a clam! Like I said before that center area was designed with a clam in mind. It is directly under the 250w MH.

PiXieCath
06/23/2010, 08:42 PM
Hihi! Here, I think that we are deal with a new clam addict!;p Can't wait to see some pics of your futur new baby!:-) Did you have a preference on maxima morph and color? (teardrop, blue, etc)

Darkstar22
06/23/2010, 09:15 PM
Hey PixieCath, I'm not the far on selection process, but any advice would be appreciated. I plan to look locally first, and if not able to do so I'll go online. I am beyond addicted! hahahaha..I have the 20l SPS tank, a 29G freshwater Amazon tank, a 40 Breeder ready to build into a mixed reef, and a 15G, ready to build into a softy tank!
I finally have my fish room! The basement, and its all mine so my wife says! Lol

PiXieCath
06/23/2010, 09:42 PM
Haha! Sounds to me like a song I've already heard!lol Few years ago, I've up to 5 SW tanks simultaneously in my 3 1/2 pieces.:hmm4: (a reef tank, a FO tank, an agressive tank, a seahorse tank and a frag tank). Currently, I just own a 125gal reef. Maybe I'll re-setup a mantis tank in the near futur (I owned one last year, that's really an amazing and interesting little fellow), I've to think about it... Lack of time to take care of a lot of tanks is my biggest problem...I envy you about a fish room, you're a lucky guy.

About the clam...I personally really love teardrop maxima. I own a gold one and that's one of my favorite clam(with my 2 huge squamosa). My goal is to own a blue maxima but unfortunately, they are pretty rare in my area...if you can put an hand on a blue one, jump on it as soon as you can.;-)

PiXieCath
06/23/2010, 09:50 PM
Anyway...take your time to find THE ONE!;-) After near than 8 years being in the hobby, that's a thing I've understand...I now take all the time to select unique specimens.

Psitt! Sorry if my english sometimes sound weak, it's not my first language...I usually spoke french...

Darkstar22
07/22/2010, 01:47 PM
My LFS has a 6 inch Gold Teardrop Maxima that I will be checking out tomorrow! Does anyone have pics of these? If so I'd love to see some.