PDA

View Full Version : Anemone ate my fire fishes... I think...

Nakzter
06/22/2010, 09:50 AM
I have 2 BTA's in my tank and bought 2 purple firefishes around 2 weeks ago... After one week 1 was missing... after a couple of days I finally saw him looking real weak behind the live rocks, not coming out for food or anything (I think he got stung by my BTA). After that I never saw him ever again... Meanwhile my 2nd firefish was still hapy and active. Well.... After a week, he was also missing... I could not tell if the Anemone ate them or not because I cannot get a good look at the trunk from his position. No jumpers and nothing in the filter sock.... I feed both of my BTA's around 2x a week with frozen scallop... Whats everyones insight?

Thanks!
:(

mthomp
06/22/2010, 09:54 AM
cuC could of devored it in no time.

Floowid
06/22/2010, 12:07 PM
Were they paired firefish? If they were just two random firefish they may have taken each other out.

Nakzter
06/22/2010, 01:45 PM
Were they paired firefish? If they were just two random firefish they may have taken each other out.

They were from the same tank and always were side by side in my tank... I just lost $40+ on 2 purple fishes.. :o

kichimark
06/22/2010, 04:58 PM
I got three bta's in my tank and two firefish...nothing has happened...yet.

phil519
06/22/2010, 06:13 PM
To avoid non-clowns from going into the anemones accidentally, you should get clownfish. The clowns will defend the "territory" and prevent any firefish from heading into the anemone. Of course with the tempermental clown, comes the possibility of it chasing a firefish to carpet surf....(D'oh).

With my firefish I created a secure bolt-hole for it to go into when scared. Something to consider. A Lot of LR will also act as a bolt-hole, but if you lack it, you could consider a pvc tunnel with a barnacle as an opening. Usually though this set up is for blue spot jawfish - but my firefish took to it right away.