PDA

View Full Version : Zoa color & placement in tank

fraggleRocks
06/22/2010, 10:16 AM
I saw a thread on here about different colors vs. placement in tank or something like that. I searched but I couldnt find it.

Anyways, I was looking for it because i have a frag of 4 neon pink looking zoa's. they were fully opened when I bought them, and were closed for over a week after putting them in my tank. 3 of the 4 are now opening up, but 2 of them are loosing the brightness of thier pink color, the other one that is open is still very bright pink.

all tank param's are in acceptable range, except P04 is at .5 which I am going to start running GFO in a media reactor later this week hopefully. I cant test for mag. yet, I dont have a test kit.

The tank they where in when I bought them had more of an actinic spectrum (I believe they were under only actinics), could this be the reason they are losing color now in my tank?

I have a 90 gallon w/ 6x54 T5 HO's

Currently they are at the bottom 1/3 of the tank in medium flow

Also, wouldnt growth rate & color intensity increase if I just ran ATI Blue Plus and Aquablue Special bulbs? I have a daylight bulb and fiji purple in the mix there right now.

Any info or push in the right direction would be much appreciated :D

MUCHO REEF
06/22/2010, 10:36 AM
I think that thread was called "Fast medium slow growing", or something to that affect. Type that into the search option and it should be a week or 2 back I think. Not sure if that's the one you wanted or not.

Pinks are only of the hardest colors to maintain their pigment. Me personally, I would never buy anything kept under actinics only. Well, I would if I were only going to keep them under actinics when I got them home to my tank. There was an anecdotal report made here last year a think of a guy who was experiencing phenomenal growth with actinics only. I just find it hard to believe.

What spectrum are your bulbs?

Did you light acclimate them?

What you are experiencing is most likely "light shock".

Pinks and blues, in my opinion only, are the most susceptible to light shock, though any color polyp can be affected.

How many watts was he pushing in his tank compared to yours?

Always start new arrivals low and word your way up to prevent this from happening.

I personally do not believe that growth rate with increase with actinic lighting only.

Mucho Reef

MUCHO REEF
06/22/2010, 06:09 PM
I found it, not sure if it's what you are looking for. Hope it helps.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1861820&highlight=fast+medium+slow

MUCHO REEF
06/22/2010, 08:54 PM
Here's the link on the pure actinic tank.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617351

Mucho Reef