PDA

View Full Version : Porcupine Puffer Will Not Eat! :(

mangelo
06/22/2010, 09:10 PM
Due to a shipping error my puffer spent Friday until 6:00pm Monday in a bag in a box. He just sits on the bottom sand looking around. Food floats by and bumps into his face and he doesn't flinch.

I've tried frozen mysis, jumbo mysis, and live ghost shrimp.

Someone please help me save this poor guy! One of my favorites!!

LisaD
06/23/2010, 06:52 AM
Find out what he was eating before being shipped anb offer it. Try live food such as gutloaded ghost shrimp or guppies. Be sure water quality is excellent, and there are not competitors for food or harassers. Consider a methylene blue bath for ammonia burn. Keep temperatures on the low side if possible (mid-70s ideal, definitely below 80 F).

Give him some time. I have had puffers that were shipped under ideal conditions go on 1-2 week hunger strikes. If he is not thin, will probably be okay.

HTL
06/23/2010, 12:12 PM
You tried mixing some Garlic in with his food? Did the trick when my Valentini didnt eat after being brought home from the store.

SilverGTS
06/23/2010, 04:04 PM
Just keep an eye on him, I would leave the light off to keep stress to a min. I use to have a 1' Porcupine puffer (had to sell him due to moving) for 2 years, when I first got him he did the same behavior. Almost laying on the bottom and bounced back after a few days and I started him on live ghost shrimp then moved on to thawed frozen food. They have awesome personality!

sdime0
06/24/2010, 02:47 PM
Also might want to check the teeth. Sometimes they can grow too much and not allow them to eat. I have to agree with everyone else, it probably just needs time. Goodluck

msudawgs56
06/24/2010, 06:42 PM
Mine loved squid...when i first bought it...he wouldn't eat anything but squid. Finally got him on a variety of different things...I used a feeder stick and put it right in his face at first.

agreeive?fish
06/24/2010, 08:46 PM
puffers can be moody and often suffer from depression when in a new enviorment..or atleast it seems like depresion to me.. i have had several puffers over the years and all of them mopped around for the 1st week or so and even had some that mopped around anytime there was any change to the tank such as a new rock, a new fish and even with the loss of a fish