PDA

View Full Version : Male Erectus Died

jennifish120
06/23/2010, 05:53 PM
I recently got a pair of Seahorses. They adjusted well and seemed very healthy. Two days ago, my friend came over and wanted to pet one. I had her thoroughly wash her hands before she did so. She only touched the male, and the next morning, he was dead. I obviously have my hands in the tank often for feeding, siphoning up old food, etc. I always wash with water and make sure there is no lotion, etc. on my skin. They will sometimes hitch on my fingers while I'm putting food in their "dish". Water parameters are good - SG 1.025, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate <10, temperature is about 78, which I know is a bit high, but our a/c is broken for the short term. My friend touching him is the only thing I can think of that would have caused this. The female is still doing well. I am going to get another male soon so that she doesn't get lonely, but would like some opinions on whether or not you guys think her touching him caused his death. If so, my friends will never put their hands in my tank again! Not that I'm mad at her - she didn't mean to do it, but I had grown quite attached to the little guy. Thanks in advance for any help.

rayjay
06/23/2010, 06:14 PM
I would think the odds of her touching the seahorse being the problem are slim to none, but I don't have an answer for why the seahorse died.
I have had seahorses die that I knew or suspected what the cause was, but I also have had seahorses that showed no symptoms behaviorally or physically and died.
I have two neighbours that look after my seahorses and I have some needing care with human contact, like the male barbouri that continually needs the pouch evacuation and flushing, and I've not had any losses from them touching any of my seahorses.

tiababygirl2
06/23/2010, 08:13 PM
so sorry for your lost.. i have no answer .but i do not think its because it was touched.
just wanted to say i was sorry.

gtstylez87
06/24/2010, 02:18 AM
did she have cream or perfume on her hand?

Peka
06/24/2010, 06:03 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. I agree with Ray as to the touching not being the cause. I am in my tanks constantly and have never had an experience like this. Were there any aerosol or cleaning items used close to the tank the day before? (ie windex) . With your tank temp at 78, there also may have been a problem which did not present itself enough visually for you to recognize. I would keep an eye on the tank parameters for a while and not add any additional horses until you are sure your female is ok.

Allmost
06/24/2010, 11:06 AM
was the male eating well ?

at 78 degree their metabolism works more so they need more food.

weak seahorse COULD die from touch,. who knows. lol

rayjay
06/24/2010, 02:17 PM
weak seahorse COULD die from touch,. who knows. lol
I'm curious as to where you have found verifiable information that touching a weak seahorse can cause it to die?

timinnl
06/25/2010, 10:00 AM
Why LOL? about a dead seahorse?

namxas
06/25/2010, 03:49 PM
weak seahorse COULD die from touch,. who knows.

sick, and therefore weakened SH often require handling to be treated for certain ailments, the handling may p*ss them off, but doesn't kill them. if the SH is in bad enuff shape to die from being touched, it's gonna die no matter what.

If so, my friends will never put their hands in my tank again!

why would you allow your friends to stick their hands into your tanks anyhow? anyone who sticks their hand in my tanx had better have a scrubber or a siphon in their hand.

floridazooguy
06/26/2010, 11:47 AM
Where did you get the seahorses from?

King_Richard
06/26/2010, 03:14 PM
I don't know if touching a seahorse can kill em but a lfs in vegas that I used to go to made everyone clean their hands w/baking soda (I think) before digging through their live rock so nothing would kill the beneficial bacteria on the rocks. I have heard that your not supposed to use an antibacterial soap before going into your fishtank also.

I never do anything special when I go into mine but I never go in it after just washing my hands. I always wait an hr or so just incase.

We also had a female rectus that recently passed away. It sucks, this one was rescued off a beach, it was literally on the beach twitching when my gf found her.

jennifish120
06/28/2010, 04:42 PM
It's been a while since I logged on, so I will try to answer everyone's questions

I got the seahorses from ORA

They were both eating well. I fed twice a day and there was always "leftovers" in their dish (which I siphoned out with a turkey baster)

I may have cleaned the outside of the tank the day before, but I only clean them with vinegar

She didn't have any cream or perfume on her hand, but I did find out that she had washed her dog earlier that day. I'm wondering if maybe some of that dog shampoo (with its pesticides) were still on her hand even after she washed them?

It's been at least a week now and the female is still doing well. I have placed the order for another male with ORA. It won't be in for at least 2 weeks, so I will have plenty more time to monitor her and by that time the air conditioner will be fixed (thank GOODNESS) and the tank temp should go back down.

Thank you all for your condolences and input :)