PDA

View Full Version : What do you feed your large angelfish?

snorvich
06/23/2010, 08:31 PM
As the title says: "What do you feed your large angelfish?" and with what frequency? Thanks in advance!

SDguy
06/23/2010, 08:41 PM
Do you mean large as in size? Or large as in species?

euod
06/23/2010, 08:50 PM
Formula II pellets through out the day with: fresh clam, krills, formula I, Rods, mysis, frozen angel, and flakes. I add nori 3-4 times a week, too when I remember.

AngelAddict
06/24/2010, 04:03 AM
Squid, shrimp, clams once a day, NLS pellets 1-3x daily, nori sheet once daily. These are large pomocanthus and holocanthus angels of large +7" size. I used to feed mysis/emerald entree but its to small for them now. All foods are soaked in vitamins. I'm going to experiment with flakes soon since my French doesn't accept pellets. Still thinking about that emperor Steve? Christmas island or new Caledonia gets my vote.

snorvich
06/24/2010, 05:53 AM
Squid, shrimp, clams once a day, NLS pellets 1-3x daily, nori sheet once daily. These are large pomocanthus and holocanthus angels of large +7" size. I used to feed mysis/emerald entree but its to small for them now. All foods are soaked in vitamins. I'm going to experiment with flakes soon since my French doesn't accept pellets. Still thinking about that emperor Steve? Christmas island or new Caledonia gets my vote.

Yes, this is for my soon to arrive Emperor; I find them irresistible. I formerly had one, but that was many years ago. That particular tank gets: nori, PE mysis, NLS pellets, and I was wondering if I need a sponge based food.

And yes, this is for juvenile angels (emperor and a blue faced) of large species.

SDguy
06/24/2010, 06:30 AM
My staple is NLS and RedSea pellets.

Additionally, raw shrimp, scallop, from the grocery store, plus PE mysis, Hikari mysis, and live blackworms.

snorvich
06/24/2010, 06:35 AM
. . . edited and RedSea pellets.

What is this and where do you get it? Thanks Peter!!

SDguy
06/24/2010, 06:43 AM
I won them at one of our club raffles. The actual name is MarineGro Saltwater Fish Food by RedSea. I use the medium granules. It admittedly has wheat as a second ingredient (as opposed to NLS which lists it as a third ingredient), but it's min protein content is 53%, compared to 30 something for NLS. It also lists some vitamin content that I'm too lazy to type ATM :)

michael_cb_125
06/24/2010, 06:57 AM
I feed NLS (thera-a) pellets, Rods Food (herbivore), Spirulina Flake, and mix of my own seafoods.

I have found that my juvenile bandit angels like the flake and pellet better than the frozen and fresh foods.

I am not feeding any "sponge-based" foods and I am getting great coloration and growth out of my bandits. They have put on a lot of weight and length since I have had them.

~Michael

AngelAddict
06/24/2010, 06:58 AM
Angels are like crack, very addicting. With a juvenile, you a lot more options, as they get older, mine at least only want big chunks of food. Foods supplemented with sponges can't hurt, I've heard they improve their colors, don't know for sure. IMO NLS pellets are the best food for any fish. I just like to feed meaty frozen foods to put weight on and change up their diet, variety is key. Goodluck with the new angels!

LargeAngels
06/24/2010, 09:36 AM
PE, Hikari mysis (large and small), NLS pellets, veggie flakes, clams and Nori. At least 3 times a day.

kirkaz
06/24/2010, 11:27 AM
I have 5 Angels in my 240 total (2 are Dwarfs)....I feed pellets when I get home from work (combo of Formula 1 & 2, and NLS). At night I feed a big combo of stuff, PE, Hikari small and large mysis, krill, clam, squid, table shrimp, angel forumla and so on.

I put in a sheet of seaweed every other morning, but this is becoming a waste as my Wrasse and Male Crosshatch wolf it all down immediately.:(

Good thread to see what others are doing.

snorvich
06/24/2010, 03:00 PM
Very informative and exceptionally useful everyone. I googled MarineGro Saltwater Fish Food but cannot find a source. Anyone have one?

InsaneClownFish
06/24/2010, 05:42 PM
I'm surprised you guys don't make your own food. I blend Shrimp, Salmon, Monkfish, Whitefish, Clams, Squid, bits of Nori or Ulva, sometimes mysis and rotifiers as well, with Vitamin C, Garlic, and Lemon Juice. I paste this into ziplock bags and freeze it.

I do feed other things as well every once in a while, and I feed actual sheets of Nori every day now. As far as a staple though, you can't beat prepared foods-
Better nutritional value and cheaper.

SDguy- where are you finding the live black worms?

Kahuna Tuna
06/24/2010, 06:09 PM
I do the home made seafood mash thing when I can get fresh seafood (scallops, shrimp, fish, clams, pretty much whatever looks good and fresh in a food processor with some vitamins, garlic and selcon). I also feed nori and NSL pellets nearly daily, large and small mysis, formula 1 & 2, spirulina brine, and spirulina pellets. All of my fish love this but my angels, rabbits, and tangs especially seem to thrive on this diet.

I do feed angel formula from time to time but I dont think it is essential for most species. I do notice my majestic and my old emp really liked the angel formula and would seek out the chunks of that first, they really seem to like it so I consider it a treat for them. I have also noticed that many angels seem to prefer the gel cube foods to even more natural fare, maybe they like that consistancy, it is somewhat "sponge like".

I have also noticed that all of the angels I have kept took to NSL pellets very quickly and seem to do very well on this food.

NexDog
06/24/2010, 07:45 PM
My Emp hoovers anything. I feed Spirulina, Cyclopeeze flake, NLS pellets, frozen brine and mysis. I think Spirulina is its favourite.

SDguy
06/25/2010, 06:40 AM
I'm surprised you guys don't make your own food. I blend Shrimp, Salmon, Monkfish, Whitefish, Clams, Squid, bits of Nori or Ulva, sometimes mysis and rotifiers as well, with Vitamin C, Garlic, and Lemon Juice. I paste this into ziplock bags and freeze it.

I do feed other things as well every once in a while, and I feed actual sheets of Nori every day now. As far as a staple though, you can't beat prepared foods-
Better nutritional value and cheaper.

SDguy- where are you finding the live black worms?

I've never been happy with my homemade fish foods. I inevitably have clouds of particles in the water. Tolerable in the reef, since many corals will eat it, but in the FO, it's just algae food. Even tried the gel binder once. Maybe I did it wrong :confused: Anyways, I'll stick to individual ingredients rotated out daily, where I control the particle size.

I get the live blackworms at a LFS, but I know you can order them online. Frankly, if you can find a couple other reefers to split it with, it would be worth it. They are super easy to keep in the fridge. They last for weeks if cared for properly.

stunreefer
06/25/2010, 06:47 AM
PE Mysis, NLS pellets, Nori and ON Angel Formula (fish in avatar).

Outerbank
06/25/2010, 12:25 PM
Formula one, formula 2 or other spirulina flake, ON prime reef flakes, ON brine shrimp plus flakes, tetramarine flakes ( I mix all these together and place in a seperate container ). I also feed my frozen food blend (usually just scallops, shrimp, and nori), tetramarine granules, clclops-eez pellets, and NLS pellets.

MrTuskfish
06/26/2010, 08:26 AM
I feed a variety, many good foods mentioned above. One more: I like to feed Angels spirulina loaded frozen brine. This seems a good way to get extra greens into fish that really need it. All fish scarf it up like they do mysis, but are also getting a serving of veggies. ( Sounds like a V-8 commercial.)

kirkaz
06/26/2010, 08:39 AM
I feed a variety, many good foods mentioned above. One more: I like to feed Angels spirulina loaded frozen brine. This seems a good way to get extra greens into fish that really need it. All fish scarf it up like they do mysis, but are also getting a serving of veggies. ( Sounds like a V-8 commercial.)

Who makes it Steve? and how big are the indivdual brine shrimp? I always thought brine was too small for bigger fish.

BPCEO
06/26/2010, 08:41 AM
NLS pellets, Formula 1 flake, mysis, brine, krill, squid, + angel formula....

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/chort55/100_1383.jpg

He pretty much loves it all ;)

MrTuskfish
06/26/2010, 11:49 AM
Who makes it Steve? and how big are the indivdual brine shrimp? I always thought brine was too small for bigger fish.

The stuff I have now is Hakari, but most of the frozen food mfgs have it. It is a small bite, but plain brine is really just a lot of nothing (IMO). The gut-loaded stuff seems to be more of a bite and my fish love it. I sure wouldn't buy it as a staple though----I just look at it as another way to get algae into fish, all my Angels and Tangs love it; non-herbivores do too. I remember the last cube of reg BS I thawed & rinsed (that was way back..); there just wasn't anything there. This stuff seems to have some bulk, though.

MrTuskfish
06/26/2010, 04:47 PM

Just an afterthought (too late to edit) to my drivel above, Kirk...er Craig. You weren't referring to baby brine shrimp were you? Adult brine has fallen from grace so completely that I think many folks automatically think baby brine. Adult BS are almost as big as ocean harvested mysis; but (IMO) mostly shell.

Gary Majchrzak
06/26/2010, 05:02 PM
Yes, this is for my soon to arrive Emperor; I find them irresistible. I formerly had one, but that was many years ago. That particular tank gets: nori, PE mysis, NLS pellets, and I was wondering if I need a sponge based food.

And yes, this is for juvenile angels (emperor and a blue faced) of large species.
nori, PE mysis, NLS pellets are good choices.
IMO/IME sponge based commercially prepared frozen helped get my Emperor through the transformation to adult size/coloration. I would use it. Once it reaches adult size make sure to use the large size NLS pellets ;)

kirkaz
06/27/2010, 09:30 AM
Just an afterthought (too late to edit) to my drivel above, Kirk...er Craig. You weren't referring to baby brine shrimp were you? Adult brine has fallen from grace so completely that I think many folks automatically think baby brine. Adult BS are almost as big as ocean harvested mysis; but (IMO) mostly shell.

Either way, I saw the stuff you are referring to on F & S. I will certainly buy a flat the next order (which will be soon). Sounds like these guys are slightly bigger than the standard Hikari Brine? Which I have a flat of in my freezer collecting freezer burn.

MrTuskfish
06/27/2010, 11:08 AM
Either way, I saw the stuff you are referring to on F & S. I will certainly buy a flat the next order (which will be soon). Sounds like these guys are slightly bigger than the standard Hikari Brine? Which I have a flat of in my freezer collecting freezer burn.
Yeah, and they're green. Fish scarf them up like they do brine, but are getting a
good bite of spirulina as well. I really don't know if this is really any different than feeding any of the spirulina based dried foods; it just seems to be eaten more aggressively by all my fish and there isn't any waste. Your Sohal will love it; I assume all your other fish have to wait until its safe to eat. The way all my Sohal's tankmates defer to the king reminds me of my dogs. The little beagle is boss and my springer spaniel, twice the size, knows it.

locust
06/27/2010, 04:25 PM
Can someone please tell me what NLS pellets are? Thanks.

snorvich
06/27/2010, 05:09 PM
New Life Spectrum Thera-A Formula, Sinking Pellet Fish Food is NLS. Excellent food.

locust
06/27/2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks Snorvich, i'll try some out, it seems a very popular one.

lhm nole
06/28/2010, 12:53 AM
Formula 1 and 2 flakes tetra color granules frozen plankton, krill, spiralina flakes fresh shrimp and seaweed and occasional scallop.

LobsterOfJustice
06/28/2010, 09:46 AM
I've never been happy with my homemade fish foods. I inevitably have clouds of particles in the water. Tolerable in the reef, since many corals will eat it, but in the FO, it's just algae food. Even tried the gel binder once. Maybe I did it wrong :confused: Anyways, I'll stick to individual ingredients rotated out daily, where I control the particle size.

I get the live blackworms at a LFS, but I know you can order them online. Frankly, if you can find a couple other reefers to split it with, it would be worth it. They are super easy to keep in the fridge. They last for weeks if cared for properly.

Peter I had the same problem with home made fish foods - never could get the particle size right, just ended up with gross slime. Try freezing the ingredients then running them over a cheese grater when frozen. I have been doing this with shrimp and scallops and it ends up as 100% useable particle size.