PDA

View Full Version : Tank cycle question

fishrule
06/24/2010, 12:33 AM
I have had my 75 gal tank set up for about 8-10weeks ruffly.

The tank started out its life with 40 lbs of rock purchased from premium aquatics. I added "live" sand from the pet store as well. The rock came out of a tank at premium but, I am not sure how long it was in their exactly(no coraline algae). I think it would be safe to say it had some good bacteria on it.

It has an 800gph overflow/return pump. I first put in a large raw shrimp in the tank and it stayed in their for ruffly 2 weeks (no skimmer active) until it got to a point where it just fell apart. I watched the amonia level daily and after about 2 weeks it finaly reached about 2.0. This is according to a test strip. :rolleyes:

Shortly after the amonia started to show, I went ahead and purchased another 40lbs of live rock. I have 2 800 gph power heads and the return flowing into the tank. And am running a skimmer full time.

I have been using these test strips but really don't trust them but, it's currently all I have. I let the tank run for another month after the amonia spike and checked it periodically I think that I must have waited to long between checks because I eventually only saw a light amount of nitrate and no amonia but never saw any nitrite. (again could have missed it.. using test strips)

I'm afraid the tank might have only half way cycled? I'm not sure if using that rock made it hard for the tank to cycle? I did my first water change a couple of days ago 15 gallons and now I am barely showing any nitrate at all.

I have 2 clown fish and 20 small crabs 2 turbo snails and 1 pink spotted goby. Everything seems to be fine after ruffly being in their almost 2 weeks. I am afraid to do add anything else because I am worried I did not cycle it enough.

lgreeeeeen
06/24/2010, 02:13 AM
Did your tank go through a brown algae/diatom bloom? I'd guess more than likely your tank is cycled, but it's hard to say w/o knowing your exact nitrate/nitrite/ammonia numbers. It's probably ok to proceed with adding stuff, but go slowly and don't add too much at one time.

Chiya
06/24/2010, 02:16 AM
Hi,

I'm new to the hobby and would like to share my experience..

1) IMHO, our fishes are the best indicator for water quality. If they are feeding and swimming fine, my guess is cycling has finished. Of course, regular water tests are still necessary (while we worry about the accuracy).

2) I think algae will begin to grow on the glass when cycle has completed (when nitrates are detectable). An algae explosion will occur when our water parameters are out but slight algae growth should be a relatively non-test kit indication that cycle has finished.

Comments??

Cheers,
Ryan

evsalty
06/24/2010, 02:17 AM
You should be cycled if you are seeing nitrAtes. Just go slow like said above.

lisafoster
06/24/2010, 08:08 AM
The cycle is most likely over especially since you waited 8 weeks. Good for you having the patiance to do that. You can add live rock to your reef whenever you want I have added numerous times to my 125. As long as you current fish look good you are fine.

jformani
06/24/2010, 08:13 AM
If you have nitrates then you had nitrite. If you have ammonia, go slow. I would get test kits and check all water parameters. You dont want to add any more fish or livestock as your tank is still very new. You will most likely go through a algae bloom as well. Go sloooooooooow!

Chris27
06/24/2010, 08:42 AM
It cycled, you just missed it with your test strips. They are good for a pool or goldfish pond, but not the best to be using with a reef. The addition of more rock probably caused another small cycle, but I'm 100% certain that is done now too. Don't worry anymore, go out and pick up some new Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (API) test kit's and I'm sure you'll find your tank to be right where you want it.

fishrule
06/24/2010, 11:16 AM
Did your tank go through a brown algae/diatom bloom? I'd guess more than likely your tank is cycled, but it's hard to say w/o knowing your exact nitrate/nitrite/ammonia numbers. It's probably ok to proceed with adding stuff, but go slowly and don't add too much at one time.

There was brown algae on the the surface of the sand and green algae on a couple of the rocks but, the crabs ate it all. I get brown algae growing slowing on the glass. I have to scrape the front about every 3/4 days ruffly. I bought the 2 turbo snails to help keep that in check.