PDA

View Full Version : bulkhead installed inside out

dan223
06/24/2010, 08:26 PM
Im wondering if it would work out to install a bulkhead inside out, with the tightening ring on the inside of the tank. I want to do this so the tank is not pushed away from the wall so far, installing it this way would save me a couple inchs.I dont see why it wouldnt work.

iamwrasseman
06/24/2010, 08:31 PM
it may work but i would not advise it

tleip
06/24/2010, 08:32 PM
I have mine that way on my corner tank so it can hug the wall. It's been that way for 3 years now and no problems.

Terry

ke6guj
06/24/2010, 09:20 PM
I've been told that they will work in either direction, just make sure that you keep the gasket on the flange side instead of the nut side. So, in this case, the gasket would be on the "dry" side instead of hte "wet" side.

dan223
06/24/2010, 09:44 PM
I've been told that they will work in either direction, just make sure that you keep the gasket on the flange side instead of the nut side. So, in this case, the gasket would be on the "dry" side instead of hte "wet" side.

For sure, it definately would not work with the gasket on the nut side.

SHOmuchFUN
06/24/2010, 09:46 PM
You can install a bulkhead whichever way you want... Just make sure the gasket is on the flange, as was said.

glazer
06/24/2010, 10:06 PM
well if you can stand it... another
+1 for anyway you like and as was said, just so long as the gasket is on the flange side.
Ran and run them both ways for years and never a problem.

BeanAnimal
06/25/2010, 05:28 AM
it may work but i would not advise it

The only problem is that the nut will get encrusted with organic matter.

On a glass or acrylic tank it makes no difference with regard to the physical seal.

It would not work on a wood core tank where the actual hole in the tank exposes the core material and is not sealed. In that case the core would be exposed to to the water, as the gasket is on the OUTSIDE of the tank.

der_wille_zur_macht
06/25/2010, 06:10 AM
It would not work on a wood core tank where the actual hole in the tank exposes the core material and is not sealed.

Even with bulkheads the "right" way it's a bad idea to not seal the holes in a wood tank IMHO!

At any rate, I totally agree - by default, there is no "right" or "wrong" way with respect to the flange vs. nut side, as long as the gasket is under the flange side, not the nut side.

agsprat
06/25/2010, 07:27 AM
I just took a saw to the thread on the bulk head and made it shorter. Make sure you screw the nut on first so you can unscrew it and smooth out the threads damaged by the cut. I also cut with the angle of the thread. Another thing i did was the cut the connections to the plumbing shorter so instead of having an inch of PVC in the connection you only have like a half inch.

dan223
06/25/2010, 03:33 PM
I just took a saw to the thread on the bulk head and made it shorter
Another thing i did was the cut the connections to the plumbing shorter so instead of having an inch of PVC in the connection you only have like a half inch.

Yeah cutting down the fittings and reducing the glue joint by half is what I am leary of doing, you lose alot of strength and have only %50 of the sealing surface, the reality of it is it would probably not matter 99% of the time, Im just paranoid about the 1%.

NanoReefWanabe
06/25/2010, 04:17 PM
Yeah cutting down the fittings and reducing the glue joint by half is what I am leary of doing, you lose alot of strength and have only %50 of the sealing surface, the reality of it is it would probably not matter 99% of the time, Im just paranoid about the 1%.

if you are going to cut your fittings down i strongly suggest using PVC primer and Cement on all of the joints...

Sharpie_
06/25/2010, 04:58 PM
to get the closest hug don't forget to use street el's.

dan223
06/25/2010, 05:39 PM
if you are going to cut your fittings down i strongly suggest using PVC primer and Cement on all of the joints...
What do you mean primer AND cement? What otherwise you could just use one???

iamwrasseman
06/25/2010, 06:29 PM
yes the only reason a advised not to was a maintenance issue . tightening would become difficult if ever needed .it certainly will function if installed either way but as stated by others the gasket must be on the flange side .

BeanAnimal
06/25/2010, 07:29 PM
Even with bulkheads the "right" way it's a bad idea to not seal the holes in a wood tank IMHO!

Yes, I agreee, holes should be glassed all the way through... but then again I tend to do things right becuase I tend to notice that many of the "pros" don't! :)

I can't have a contractor in my home... It is nearly impossible to find one that does things right!

NanoReefWanabe
06/26/2010, 08:17 AM
What do you mean primer AND cement? What otherwise you could just use one???

a lot of people choose to not use the primer....which for our low pressure systems exposed to very little stress is usually okay...but if you cut the fittings down and reduce the bonding surface you really need to apply primer..

as mentioned "street" fittings will also make things a lot tighter..