PDA

View Full Version : Nanocube 6 question/ New Build

collegeman
06/25/2010, 05:36 AM
I have purchased a nanocube 6 aquarium. The total amount of gallon I believe is around 7.1. With the stock equipment 18 watt light, what type of coral do you think can thrive? In addition, when listing the type of coral can you tell me what needs to be done to keep in thriving. Such as dosing, feeding, etc. I also plan to add a 1-clown goby, and some type of reefsafe crab or shrimp.

crazylegs
06/25/2010, 07:15 AM
Mushrooms, some zoanthids, palys, mostly softies. These corals are hardy, and will not require much care. In a tank that small, if you do a gallon waterchange every week, it will be enough to keep all of your params in check. Keep in mind that the stock light is minimal, so you will not get the best color or growth out of your corals. But it will work.

Remove the bio media before the cycle if you can. That way all your nitrifying bacteria grow in your LR and sand. This will be easier done now than later.

Your livestock choices sound good.

Potential upgrades for the future include;
Converting a rear chamber to Cheato chamber.
Pump upgrade for more flow.
Surfcae skimming overflow(if it was not included with setup.

Good luck!

teddyzaper
06/25/2010, 10:03 AM
dont forget upgrading light as a potential upgrade!

collegeman
06/25/2010, 10:05 AM
Equipment:
Nanocube 6- filter, 18 watts 50/50 light, pump/circulation.
Heater
Supplies:
Black diamond carbon
Phosguard
Filter floss

Livestock:
1 or 2 Citrinis clown gobies
1 Sexy Anemone shrimp
7 Cerith snails
Mushroom Coral frag pack
Zoanthids coral frag pack
Nano rock to replace bio balls
10 pounds of live rock, maybe from my 55 gallon
Aragonite 8 pounds, maybe from 55 gallon

I do not have a ro system. Can anyone recommend a brand of distilled water that can be used as an alternative? In addition, what do you people put in the water column, such as trace elements and supplements?

Feel free to make suggestions or comments.

crazylegs
06/25/2010, 10:16 AM
oh yes, obviously lighting uphrades would be good too.

most bottled water lists the method of filtration used. See if you can find ro/di in bottled. Distilled water can have trace metals in it, depending on the equipment used for distillation. I take 5gal jugs to one of the water stations in town. Maybe you can find one of those. Also, just keepig softies and doing waterchanges, you shouldn't have to worry with dosing. If you feel you need to, look into two part nano combinations. I wouldn't worry with it yet though.

teddyzaper
06/25/2010, 03:10 PM
my local saltwater store has a huge R/O and holding tank, if you ask they might be willing to give you some per week, im only allowed 20 gallons per week unless setting up a tank.

collegeman
06/25/2010, 03:13 PM
thanks for all the information.