PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide on T5 for my 90 Gallon

Schoeny
06/25/2010, 02:06 PM
I'm hearing different things from different places...

Is 4x54W T5 with individual reflectors enough for a 90 Gal LPS/SPS? or do I need 6?

I plan to keep some SPS down the line, and would prefer not to have to upgrade once i purchase the original fixture.

Could I get away with 4 and see growth if the LS were towards the bottom and the SPS toward the top?

solitude127
06/25/2010, 04:27 PM
With 4, you might be able to keep lower light SPS, but you'll definitely have a better chance of keeping SPS with 6 bulbs. I say get the 6 bulb and do it right the first time.

kkrawler
06/25/2010, 05:01 PM
It also depends on the fixture itself. I'm getting a TEK light for my 90 Gallon and I know they're not the highest quality so I opted for the 6 light fixture to compensate. I'm sure if you went with a higher quality such as ATI you could get away with a 4 bulb fixture.

Johnny C
06/25/2010, 07:56 PM
As others suggested, six bulbs would be best for a mixed reef with higher-light SPS. Plus, you can really tweak the color spectrum to your preference.

It also depends on the fixture itself. I'm getting a TEK light for my 90 Gallon and I know they're not the highest quality so I opted for the 6 light fixture to compensate. I'm sure if you went with a higher quality such as ATI you could get away with a 4 bulb fixture.
Don't be fooled by people online who tell you that Tek Lights aren't high quality. There's no doubt about it that an ATI is a little "higher end", but you must remember that you pay top dollar for that. There is a reason why Teks are (IMO) the most popular. Let us know how you like it :)

mteem
06/25/2010, 11:34 PM
+1 on the six bulb fixture. I have the Nova Extreme Pro on my 90 gallon reef now. I went that route so that I could play around with the color spectrum when the time comes to replace the bulbs.

iamwrasseman
06/26/2010, 12:10 AM
i would go with a 6 bulb unit for sure as its easier to spend a few extra bucks now rather than upgrading later . there are so many to choose from and i use hamilton retro kits as they are less expensive and i build my own canopies to fit .

kkrawler
06/28/2010, 05:52 PM
Have you decide on you bulb combination as of yet?

jc-reef
06/28/2010, 07:22 PM
+1 on the 6 bulb like the previous posts say. I have a 90g with 6 bulbs and have mix reef from leathers/zoa's to acroporas growing nicely. Invest in quality bulbs like ATI, KZ, or Gsmn.

iamwrasseman
06/28/2010, 07:25 PM
yes gsmn is my choice as they have great display color and grow corals very well .