PDA

View Full Version : Golden Dwarf Moray Eel

luisagos
06/26/2010, 03:08 PM
Tomorrow, i will pick up my new Golden Dwarf Moray Eel from a local guy selling them.
He hands feed them shrimp.

My question is, whats the best dietary plan and best place to get it, for this lovely creature.
Can i buy shrimp (human grade) from like walmart, you would think would be better then the LFS?
Want to make sure he lives a long time.

Thank you.

lhm nole
06/26/2010, 04:42 PM
Since you live in florida go to your local seafood market or you can use the frozen stuff from walmart make sure it is raw and not prepackaged cooked stuff. Remember eels can go through a adjustment period and not eat for days sometimes weeks in their new homes be patient make sure tank is fully covered and provide adequate hiding spaces. Happy eel keeping.

Be careful feeding by hand any eel bite is not going to fill good.

sdelsol15
06/26/2010, 05:50 PM
hey luis where in florida do you stay at im in miami

luisagos
06/26/2010, 06:17 PM
So i guess just raw shrimp and squid is all they need to eat?
I got a nice spot for him in the tank, well if he wants it.

I live in Hudson area just north of Tampa.
The guy that has it, lives in Tampa.
So its about 40 miles away.

luisagos
06/27/2010, 01:18 PM
Fast update.

I just got back from the seller house. He has some very rare Hawaiian fish.
He also had a mated pair golden dwarf eel. I couldn't pass the chance at it.

I got them for $300 for the pair that he caught together. He catches these himself, he was showing me all his gear and how he catches them. I guess he can drive down to almost 200ft off the shores of Hawaii.
He was telling me its very expensive to dive down there, he tries to sell some of his catches to pay for his trips.
He seem like a very nice guy. I will definitely be getting more fish from him.

Cracken
06/27/2010, 01:43 PM
What kind of gear was he packing?
and what kind of fish?

reptileblvd
06/27/2010, 04:49 PM
Please post photos. I have been thinking of acquiring one or two myself. What size tank are they going in and are you going to have any tankmates in with them?

luisagos
06/27/2010, 04:57 PM
What kind of gear was he packing?
and what kind of fish?

He had some fancy suba gear and different sizes of nets.

I think he had Wrasse Golden Fairy, Flame Wrasse, Dragon Moray, Crosshatch Trigger fish and couple of Dwarf Moray.
He told me, he can get anything, but i need to wait till my tank bio loads catch up with my eels.

Those Trigger fish bit my bag, he had to re-bag my eel bag. I got too close to the water, while holding it, lol.
They seem very friendly, and i even seen him pat one on the head, a lot braver then I.

LargeAngels
06/28/2010, 07:00 AM
I feed mine PE mysis and large Hikari mysis.

luisagos
06/29/2010, 05:22 AM
Please post photos. I have been thinking of acquiring one or two myself. What size tank are they going in and are you going to have any tankmates in with them?

I miss your post. I will soon have a video camera feed on my tank.
My tank is 125g. My eels are about 8-10 inches, from what I understand they wont go over 12".

I had to cut the medium size shrimp in small slices, I thought i was going to kill one, when I feed it for the fist time. They got tiny mouths, i don't see how they can eat a fish, it has to be a very small fish.

These eels have a great personalty, they follow me around the tank, while i am working on it. But they do it going through the rocks. I have must have deep holes inside my live rock, because somehow they can get inside them.

Its funny, i am doing something on my tank and i look inside my tank, they are just in front of me staring, lol.
I brought these as a mated pair, and yes they are. i seen them swim together all wrap up with each other, its a very cool thing to watch.

mjoener
06/29/2010, 12:21 PM
Definitely taggin along for this!
when is the feed going up?
I have wanted eels for sometime but the fiance is not having that! lol

tatkins99
10/28/2010, 08:58 PM
I picked up a golden dwarf moray from the same guy (Ian) in Tampa. I have him in a temp "critter cage" until I get done escape proofing my tank tomorrow. How did you cover yours?

He nearly jumped out of the bag when I was acclimating him!

disonegook
03/24/2011, 09:55 PM
anyone have any contact info for this Ian guy. thanks

helicoprion
03/25/2011, 08:49 AM
Make sure you either feed fresh, Vitamin B rich foods or use a supplement... def get some pics up!