PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars themed saltwater tank.

Coins
06/27/2010, 05:24 PM
Im looking to put my first saltwater tank up by Christmas time. I had a cool, but geeky, idea and was wondering what potential drawbacks there were.

My plan is to get a 29 gallon biocube and have a theme from when Luke crashed his X-Wing on Dagobah. I want to put together an X-Wing and put that in the center and put rocks around it. Then slowly add live stuff thats green to go along with the swamp theme.

My question is this...I plan on painting the X-Wing myself and was wondering if there were any special considerations I need to think about when selecting paint. Could it hurt the tank's inhabitants?

Any recommendations (like suggestions on green fish and coral) would be helpful.

Thanks!

jelisoner
06/27/2010, 05:33 PM
could paint it then seal it with a marine epoxy

Amp2020
06/27/2010, 06:31 PM
In a salt water tank with corals, the decoration will grow algae very quickly. Don't even bother painting it. Now in a freshwter tank, it can't be kept clean by an algae eater. Low lights can grow java moss and many fern like plants to simulate a swamp. Lot less maintenance and will look better.

Tuscaquatics
06/27/2010, 07:49 PM
Just an opinion, but this sounds really lame. I don't understand what the point is. Star Wars took place underwater? Why not do a normal tank with things that are supposed to be in there?

LaOtIn
06/27/2010, 08:03 PM
i would go with AMP on this one

go with a fresh and you can get your effect pulled off a lot easier.

do the Xwing, but i would not paint it.

crash it into a rock, a large rock. remember when you crash it you can cut off the front portion of the fighter and use a portable blow tourch to melt it, giving you a very cool "crash and burn" effect. you can also use a butane lighter.

its your theme, you can do whatever you want, just because luke's xwing didnt burn doesnt mean yours cant! :celeb3:

when you start your decor i would use small pieces of driftwood to create a forest look. you can drape java moss and hornswort on and around these sticks to give your canopy.

for your "trees" you can use amazon sword plants maybe a mad lace in there, some osolot sword, etc

for your mid you can go with some crypts mixed with dwf hair grass (remember to separate all clumps for better growth) which can extend into your foreground. around the front of the crash site you can mix a small patch of babytears, large or dwf shouldnt matter.

to top this theme off, maybe you can find an older style luke on ebay and maybe yoda, or ben and luke, or maybe just luke climbing out of the wreakage (epoxied to the ship)

let it run! woot, great themed idea, should be cool, keep us posted.

XtremeFromHell
06/27/2010, 08:37 PM
i cant wait to see this come together, i love Star Wars and i love fish tanks.

Tuscaquatics
06/27/2010, 09:19 PM
i cant wait to see this come together, i love Star Wars and i love fish tanks.

Are you freakin' serious? Why on Earth would anyone want to do this? Why can't we leave Star Wars where it belongs and try and build a tank that echoes nature? The two have nothing to do with each other. Why would you want to take a beautiful tank and mix in Star Wars? You might as well order a Batman-themed Ferrari Testarossa.

I can understand being polite and letting someone do what they please. But we're actually going to egg him on?

This is actually one step above those stupid sunken treasure chests people put in their tanks.

khaosinc
06/27/2010, 09:29 PM
I think it would be kinda cool.... love to see palys slowly take it over and GSP all around it. I'm still looking for an anchor to put in my tank with some plastic chain... slowly watch it turn purple and grow stuff...

Besides, if you want really the way a reef looks... throw a beer bottle in your tank with some plastic bags.

AgeDynasty
06/27/2010, 09:30 PM
Im in, I have got to see the end result.

noahm
06/27/2010, 09:33 PM
sounds pretty cool to me. As above, I think the look will be much easier with freshwater or you could just let it grow hair algae all over. That doesn't take too much effort, only overfeeding and neglect. The GSP idea is pretty good too for greenery or nuclear green palys, maybe some really green favia if you do go saltwater.

LaOtIn
06/27/2010, 09:35 PM
Besides, if you want really the way a reef looks... throw a beer bottle in your tank with some plastic bags.

ROFL! sad, but true! :uzi:

Ethan_W
06/27/2010, 10:18 PM
yeah you will have much more luck pulling off the look you want with a freshwater tank with live plants/decor/ etc. and it will be much easier to maintain.

Nanook
06/27/2010, 10:21 PM
Are you freakin' serious? Why on Earth would anyone want to do this? Why can't we leave Star Wars where it belongs and try and build a tank that echoes nature? The two have nothing to do with each other. Why would you want to take a beautiful tank and mix in Star Wars? You might as well order a Batman-themed Ferrari Testarossa.

I can understand being polite and letting someone do what they please. But we're actually going to egg him on?

This is actually one step above those stupid sunken treasure chests people put in their tanks.

Check your attitude at the door and refrain from commenting on this thread any more[chimp]

aykim2188
06/27/2010, 10:36 PM
tuscaquatics is just upset because he's a star trek fan lol.

but in all honesty you have no reason to provide any input other then your opinion and that is exactly what it is. just because he's building a tank doesn't mean he has to "echo nature." don't tell other people what they should say or not say. there's no reason to try and impose your will on someone just because your opinions are different.

p.s. even a batman-themed testarossa would be nicer than any car you will ever have lol.

i myself definitely would love to see what the outcome of your project will be.

Jambi40-6&2
06/27/2010, 11:00 PM
I would do a tree frog tank w/ a fogger. You would get all the women with that tank! lol

Jambi40-6&2
06/27/2010, 11:17 PM
:strooper: No doubt, I guess whatever someone says you should just say great idea! I think this will be the only chance I have to use this icon.

MrBunny
06/27/2010, 11:44 PM
I think it sounds like fun. I'm not a huge fan of decor in a fish tanks but I'm more then down with themed tanks. Its a challenge and maybe something new and interesting might come from it. Exploration of new ideas as lame as they might be have hidden knowledge that can be gained by all. Maybe this isn't exactly new but It sure is different the what most of us are doing. Might I add I think green star polyps have some of the color and seem alien to me. Not to mention the many types of algae that could be used. I don't know the name of it but that cactus algae that is hitch hiker some times is crazy looking. Also just throwing this out there instead of showing the the xwing in the ground/substrate show the end of the xwing in the water as viewing it from it would be under water. If you look at the scene the tip of the xwing(cockpit) is submerged under water. Anyways good luck and POST SOME PICS when and if you get going!

SAZAMA
06/27/2010, 11:52 PM
Let him do his thing. can't wait to see this happen...

aquaph8
06/28/2010, 12:10 AM
:strooper: No doubt, I guess whatever someone says you should just say great idea! I think this will be the only chance I have to use this icon.

+1 Ive been waiting a long time to use this.
:strooper::strooper::strooper::strooper::strooper::strooper::strooper:

Ok, its out of my system now ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Nanook
06/28/2010, 12:21 AM
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/9186/dagobah%20frog%20pic%201.jpg

aquaph8
06/28/2010, 12:27 AM
Kinda works, yoda looks like a frog anyways. I really cant believe that really exists. Im speechless.

nmbeg
06/28/2010, 01:07 AM
Personally I would go for an underwater Endor. Plastic replicas of tall trees with tree-houses, walkways, all submerged underwater with fish swimming through them, with a mat of zoa's, GSP on the ground..... it could work.

ps. is there any way to incorporate bikini Leah into this?

sslak
06/28/2010, 06:00 AM
Would work better with freshwater....simply because anything you put in a reef tank will be covered in coralline purple in no time.

Miasma_F
06/28/2010, 06:39 AM
Coins,

If you choose to go freshwater (which I recommend as well), please be sure to update this thread with pictures. I don't care that this is a saltwater forum, I want to see the finished product!

Thinking along the extreme investment line, there's a guy on here with a "volcano" reef (very cool). Lot's of interesting things to do if you that route. You could have the X-wing partially submerged.

chimmike
06/28/2010, 06:50 AM
I think it's a terrible idea and I'd never do it myself........but hey, if the OP thinks it'll be cool, I at least want to see pics when it's done!

nmbeg
06/28/2010, 07:06 AM
this is a different type of star wars theme:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1845130

B Mack
06/28/2010, 07:09 AM
I think a saltwater deathstar trash compacter scene theme is the way to go.. But switch over Leah's outfit to the Return of the Jedi Jabba bikini.. I'm not a doctor.. Juss sayin.. lmao

nmbeg
06/28/2010, 07:13 AM
wait wait wait.... we're all forgetting Jar Jar Binks and his underwater city.

me-sa thinks you-sa crrraaaazzzyyy! Annie! Annie!!!!!!

B Mack
06/28/2010, 07:19 AM

Would really need more sand people and the 70 year old obi wan to pull that off.. at least that is how it is in the REAL underwater city.. lmao

Sugar Magnolia
06/28/2010, 08:19 AM

:lol: :thumbsup:

To each his own. I'd love to see it!

aykim2188
06/28/2010, 11:16 AM
http://www.konolua.com/RSS/Volcano_Tank/Volcano_Tank.html

this is the volcano tank...pure beauty

thebanker
06/28/2010, 11:23 AM
You could make this work as a reef tank, but as anyone will tell you here, don't bother painting anything. I agree that this will work better as a freshwater planted tank, and will be able to get the look you want... that dagobah swamp...

Don't listen to the haters on here, I think it's cool. And as an avid Star Wars fan, I'd love to see pics when you make it happen.

May the force be with you, young padawan. Don't forget the sandpeople choir.

http://www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/blog/wp-content/20051219sandpeoplechoir.jpg

Nakzter
06/28/2010, 11:27 AM
I say DO IT! I was thinking the same thing but only on a small beta tank. in for updates!

Floowid
06/28/2010, 12:26 PM
You should totally do it. And don't listen to the haters, or even those suggesting freshwater. I have seen quite a few really neat macro algae tanks, a Dagobah themed macro algae tank would be pretty easy to pull off and would look pretty cool. I'm in, lets see some pictures!

Namnuta
06/28/2010, 12:45 PM
I love when people try something original. Cant wait for pictures.

dcombs44
06/28/2010, 01:05 PM
Here's a tank with some good use of plastic decor. You can see how covered in coralline it will become. This one looks pretty cool in my opinion.

http://i47.*******.com/wnvxg.jpg

cpl40475
06/28/2010, 01:29 PM
:spin2:To each there own. Id love to see this pulled off Star Wars is a great movie that keeps re creating itself and continues to be popular. I wouldnt paint the X-wing either but on the safe side i would use like a clear marine safe epoxy or sealer. Yeah it will be covered in coraline algea but you can always remove the algea with some work. POST PICS!!!!!

cloak
06/28/2010, 02:24 PM
I think it would be kinda cool. An X-wing surrounded by some live rock, maybe get some caulerpa and let it overgrow the ship. Add some snails, a couple of hermits, a few soft corals growing on the outskirts, etc. Go for it!

Schreff
06/28/2010, 02:39 PM
I cant wait to see it!!! I think it will be very exciting to watch you build it.

Levito
06/28/2010, 04:57 PM
I'm with most people on this post. I would never do it in my own tank, but I'd be pretty interested in seeing how it turns out in someone else's.
I don't think I'd ever do a theme tank, I just prefer things to look as natural as possible, but I can't argue with anyone who wants to do something different with their own tank. I remember someone else saying they wanted to (but hadn't yet) make a football-themed tank where GSP made the grass, some forked SPS made the goal posts, and zoas or something made up players on the field.
If you can pull it off and it doesn't look sloppy, I say go for it.
At the end of the day, it's all about what makes you happy. If Star Wars in your reef tank gives you passion, you're on the right track.

Mr.Pagibig
06/28/2010, 05:36 PM
Do what you want, if you put your heart into it will be beautiful. I think the true success of your idea is trial. Good idea I would like to see the dagobah swamp hehe.

kkrawler
06/28/2010, 06:10 PM
Personally my self I think any non natural themed aquarium should be restricted to goldfish bowls. Not saying there's anything wrong with it, it's just not something that doesn't appeal to me.

~~Still waiting for the 'Lord of the Rings' themed aquarium~~

cpl40475
06/28/2010, 07:24 PM
Personally my self I think any non natural themed aquarium should be restricted to goldfish bowls. Not saying there's anything wrong with it, it's just not something that doesn't appeal to me.

~~Still waiting for the 'Lord of the Rings' themed aquarium~~

Define natural themed? Most natural reefs are as Khaos stated earlier include beer bottles trash bags ETC. Also alot of places are now dumping rocks ETC to build up more reefs and the US NAVY sinks older ships to create new reef beds. So to me a star wars themed reef could be a reality in the future. Theres already crashed planes in the oceon with alot of living life on them.

Nakzter
06/28/2010, 08:19 PM
I've watched it on TV that they do sink old ships to help the coral reefs... Its a great way to assist mother nature...

Levito
06/28/2010, 08:24 PM
Yes, they are also sinking old NYC subways off the coast in Delaware to create a reef there as well. Obviously it won't be a coral reef, but it will help facilitate the growth of many aquatic species.

robow
06/28/2010, 09:00 PM
Star wars aquarium would be awesome, I get a ton of flack because I have a skull in my tank so be prepared. Other than that do what you like, your the one that has to look at it.

HippieSmell
06/28/2010, 09:11 PM
You might as well order a Batman-themed Ferrari Testarossa.
You can do that? Because that would be awesome.

One step above? More like one giant leap for mankind.

stevek480
06/28/2010, 09:27 PM
I love the idea of doing it as a freshwater tank and using different plants to mimic the swamp. I definitely see it being a lot easier with freshwater than saltwater. I'd love to see pictures either way. Don't let the negative people get you down!

zaicheek
10/29/2015, 08:03 PM
I thought you guys might enjoy seeing my start? 4 weeks in and I am loving my first aquarium.

http://i.imgur.com/WIzmgqg.jpg

GriffinMarsh
10/29/2015, 08:13 PM
Ok, Dear all you people out there saying that Star Wars doesn't belong in a reef aquarium. If you are a diehard hard fan you will know that the planet Felucia where Aayla Secura was killed during Order 66 has some pretty suspicious looking fauna.

Exhibit A
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/2/2b/Atotfelucia.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20091201163131

In a reef aquarium... I think it would be too easy.
I mean C'mon!

stingeragent
10/29/2015, 08:25 PM
Well this thread was resurrected from the dead. I say do it. Star Wars FTW.

e048
10/30/2015, 08:02 AM
I think you can do what you want only issue I can see is that salt corrodes things faster than fresh so your xwing can leach some stuff into the tank. I would go with a reptile tank and fogger for a dagobah tank. If you wanted you could do a kamino tank with mudskippers.

Again I would keep the health of the livestock in mind. I know a certain tv show that throws just about anything in fish tanks and they think it's cool but it really isn't. I say go for it but I would do fresh instead of salt to keep up the theme. You could even have some dagobah fish (fire eels, pleco, glass catfish, blind cave tetras)

Bent
10/30/2015, 11:34 AM
Hello 5 years ago.

I'd still like to see this. Especially now that I'm so pumped for episode 7.

Someone do it!

Fish+Star Wars=win. Simple formula.

skeeter_ca
10/30/2015, 12:50 PM
It would work great in a display refugium. With all different types of plants used like a swamp.

stingeragent
10/30/2015, 08:09 PM
Bent, have you started buying up star wars collectibles yet? I've looked at some of the lego sets from years ago that sell for 10K now. Needless to say, I've bought up about 500 in star wars merchandise in the last week. Whoops. Luckily the wife is a nerd too so no complaints there.

Bent
10/30/2015, 11:18 PM
Bent, have you started buying up star wars collectibles yet? I've looked at some of the lego sets from years ago that sell for 10K now. Needless to say, I've bought up about 500 in star wars merchandise in the last week. Whoops. Luckily the wife is a nerd too so no complaints there.

No, but I want to real bad.
Dude when I was a kid I had all kinds of Star Wars toys that I can look on eBay that are selling for thousands.

I had that big millennium falcon that opened up, I had the Rancor and tons of other stuff.

I should buy lots of new toys and go bury them in a container in the back yard and dig them up when it's time to retire. Probably be worth more than my 401 at that point.

zaicheek
11/03/2015, 02:23 PM
I should clarify that I am not OP. I just found the thread and had already started this tank. I'm definitely running freshwater. I'm most interested in the planted nature of the tank and creating a visually appealing swamp feel. Any advice on the types of plants I could use to create that swampy environment? I'm using a Finnex Planted+ and DIY CO2 injection on a 46 gallon bowfront. I'll keep you all posted on progress, I'm very excited to develop this idea. This hobby really sucked me in hard, I'm loving it.

e048
11/03/2015, 03:30 PM
java moss, dwarf hair grass, add some amazon tanins to the water to darken it, also add a ton of driftwood, some anubias would also look cool, maybe some hornwort but make sure you are constantly clipping it so it doesn't take over

zaicheek
12/14/2015, 09:28 AM
The tank is coming along nicely! I had a bit of a recurring bout with cyanobacteria but I think I finally got the ****ers, or at least learned how to manage them. This is as of last night.

http://imgur.com/xkTx0Jx

thelawnwrangler
12/14/2015, 10:16 AM
I like the freshwater idea could have some really alien looking fish like arowana

I don't guess a bio cube would support that

zaicheek
12/14/2015, 10:25 AM
If I did it again I would run a tank at a temperature and setup that supported newts. I think they'd give a great monster feel.

TangingOut
12/14/2015, 12:58 PM
Isn't the packaging for the toys going to get waterlogged in a tank?