PDA

View Full Version : No fish load = suffering corals?

sneeyatch
06/29/2010, 05:21 AM
I keep a 20 gallon hex at my work that houses some softies and LPS corals. It has a simple HOB Aquaclear filter where I run carbon, and a K2 pump for circulation. There's maybe 10 lbs of rock in there with about 30 Lbs of sand. Lighting is a 150 DE Phoenix in a clip-on Coralife fixture. The tank's been set-up for around 4 months and the corals I keep in there are from what I had when I tore my large home system down earlier this month. No sump, no fuge, no skimmer.

Water parameters are:

Temp - 79 degrees
SG - 35 ppt
pH - 8.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0
PO4 - 0
Alk - 10 - 10.5 dkh
2 gallon waterchanges are done every 2 weeks or so with Reef Crystals and like I said, I run Matrix carbon in my HOB.

The issue is - is that my corals look like they're struggling and I can't figure out why. A fellow reefgeek buddy that I work with suggested that I add a few small fish. He's thinking the water may be too clean.

Anyone agree or have any suggestions that I may be overlooking?

HighlandReefer
06/29/2010, 05:39 AM
If you don't have any fish in your current system, then you will need to add some food for the coral and it does not necessarily have to be provided by adding fish.

sneeyatch
06/29/2010, 05:49 AM
Thanks - it makes sense and I don't know why I didn't think about it... Guess I had some weird mental block going on about trying to keep the water as clean as possible...

Thanks!

HighlandReefer
06/29/2010, 05:53 AM
Your welcome. :)

HighlandReefer
06/29/2010, 05:55 AM
If you don't add fish, you will have more control over the nutrient levels in your tank by simply feeding the coral. If you add too much food, you can stop without fear of starving your fish. :)