PDA

View Full Version : 40 Breeder Lighting

CThomas1026
06/29/2010, 07:43 PM
I'm getting back into the hobby more intensely after awhile (haven't had anything except a biocube for the past year, and no tanks at all for 2 before that), and I'm going to set up a 40 breeder.

I'd like to do SPS and a clam or two, and some things have changed since I was heavily into the hobby. I'm very used to the old "watts per gallon" rule, but it seems that is not the case anymore.

Currently I'm looking at AquaticLife T5's and am torn between the 4 or 6 bulb setup. I'm sure the 6 would be better, but in the interest of cash do you think I could get away with the 4 since it is such a shallow tank? The reason I ask is the 4 bulb certainly doesn't fall into the appropriate "watts per gallon" I'm used to.

Thanks in advance!

cody6766
06/29/2010, 08:04 PM
I don't know much about that fixture, but I have a TEK 6 bulb 36" fixture on my 40 breeder and it's great. I don't think I'd want to go with a 4 bulb because of the front to back tank depth. The 6 just offers a lot more coverage and color options when you pick your bulbs. The ATI fixtures are probably the top end of the T5 fixtures. They crank out some serious PAR, but you pay for it.

Since you're wanting to do SPS and clams I'd definitely go 6 bulb and possibly consider the ATI lights. I have no trouble with acros or my maxima clam under my TEK, but if you can afford better, why not?

CThomas1026
06/29/2010, 08:13 PM
Well I work at an LFS during breaks/summers off from school, and we carry AquaticLife, so that's why I'm looking into them particularly (think employee discount). Thanks for the advice though, I'll definitely look into what you mentioned.

tydtran
06/29/2010, 08:21 PM
4 bulbs should not be an issue as long as you have good reflectors.

CThomas1026
06/29/2010, 08:26 PM
The fixtures do have very nice reflectors (I've installed a ton of them). I was just concerned as the common opinion when I previously kept clams was MH was a MUST.

Pallobi
06/29/2010, 08:51 PM
i also have a 36" 6 bulb teklight.... LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

jus my two cents as i dont think halides are needed at all for 40g breeder... i have some great light in mine