PDA

View Full Version : **Starting a 55g Reef Tank (Advice?)

chr1sp4rk
06/29/2010, 11:54 PM
I am trying to start a 55gallon reef tank, and I needed some assistance on setting one up.

What would be the range of Watts required to light this tank?
What would be a good filtration system other than live rocks?
What should the size of the sump tank be?

MrsHaggis
06/30/2010, 05:12 AM
250 watt MH is fine for this system, add on a few moon lights at 24 watt and your laughing!!
I live Tunze stuff and the Tunze skimmer that I have is great.
Make the sump as large as you possible can - the more volume of water you have the better; the easier it is to keep the water chemistry balanced. But if you have a space problem then try to make it at least 20 gallons.

Hope that helps.
Anymore questions, don't be shy.

rayn
06/30/2010, 05:17 AM
I have a 4 bulb t5 system on my 55 and it works great. Nice growth on everything. I am also running a 20L sump.

Sk8r
06/30/2010, 06:42 AM
My system, 54 bow corner reef: 250 watt metal halide 14000 to 10000 (will raise acropora coral, too intense for zoanthids): I prefer Ushio brand; 2 actinics. I use an EV 120 (rated for 120 g) skimmer, and my pump is way too large: it drives water from a sump in the basement. My sump is 30g, of which 20g is fuge: I wish I had a 40. Stealth heater. Autotopoff.com as an autotopoff, and I drip kalk. I have great success with lps, which grows like crazy. For filtration, I use a megaball of cheatomorpha algae in my fuge: any filter would stop the copepods and actually increase nuisance algae (they eat it, and I have 2 dragonets.) I should also add that corals are filters, and my basketball sized hammer doesn't let much escape.

chimmike
06/30/2010, 07:49 AM
Chris, did you look at the stickies in this forum before asking these questions?
try this one, then read the others ;)
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

rale2001
06/30/2010, 12:35 PM
Great info I just purchased a 55 gal with a stand too. I have an empty 29 gal empty tank to make into my sump and thinking about setting up this little 5 gal tank to add to the setup and make an external fug. This is great insight soo
n as I finish moving I'm going to start my project. I wonder if 80 lbs of sand will gve me a decent DSB and not too accessive. Good Luck on ur project OP

baby1-
06/30/2010, 05:34 PM
put it in your wall!!!!!!! run a gfci to the breaker box on its own ....i gotta 55 and it rocks i have a aqatic life48" 4 bulbt-5s w/led moon lights

Dustin1300
06/30/2010, 07:20 PM
1) Before answering truely we need to know more info. Are you planning on keeping coral? If so, SPS, LPS, softies, etc?

2) Filtration is not like freshwater. Typically you will not see canister filters and other mechanical filtration as many lead to a nitrate factory. Protein skimmers are the 'filtration'.

3) The larger the better in regards to a sump. If you are wanting a fuge/sump then it depends on equipment it will house as well as size of fuge portion. Typically fuge is not helpful unless it is at least 10% of water volume.

Good luck and READ, READ, READ:)