PDA

View Full Version : LED electronic lingo

loyalhero90
06/30/2010, 01:08 PM
Okay I have talked to Biorb and they gave me this information because I wanted to put macroalgae into the biube tank with the LED light:

The LED light generally draws about 4 watts when on full daylight mode so it is very economical to run. Light output is not measured in watts, however, the output of the LED light would be equivalent roughly to a 20watt bulb.

I have also looked at other websites that sell LED lights and I have found:
Current USA PowerBrite LED Lighting System: 12 W Maximum LED Load; and 10000K
http://www.marinedepot.com/Current_USA_PowerBrite_LED_Lighting_System_Linkable_LED_Light_Fixtures-Current_USA-CU01643-FILTFILDLK-vi.html

Ecoxotic PAR38 LED Aquarium Lamp: 12000K:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecoxotic_PAR38_LED_Aquarium_Lamp_-Ecoxotic-XX06850-FILTBULD-vi.html

The website says they are better for macroalgae and corals but I do not know the electronic lingo like how many K's are needed. I just want to find a light that will not heat up my 9g aquarium and that I can put on top of the acrylic cover but will provide sufficient light for macroalgae, mushrooms and zoanthids (the zoanthids that I want like 'low' light). So please help :confused:.

Thank you for your previous reviews.

blasterman789
06/30/2010, 01:48 PM
The PowerBrite strip is absurdly over-priced and under-powered.

The second light is better, but you are way better off getting one of Evil's PAR38s at Nanotuners for the same price (I suggest the 12,000k version). These are a reputable product with very high standards.

Remember that a PAR38 has to be hung, so you'd have to suspend it over your tank. Also, at 21watts, it might be over-kill, but the advantage with hanging it is you can always raise it if you wan't to lower the light.

Just a warning, but there is no light you can put on top of an acrylic cover that won't make it eventually sag. Glass works better for this, and it's what I do with my DIY lights - they ride on top of the glass cover. If you use a PAR style light this problem is alleviated because it's hanging and typically further away.

loyalhero90
07/01/2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the info blasterman789 that really helped :thumbsup:. But by suspended do you mean suspended by the ceiling or can I use a lamp with a E26/E27( I think that's what is needed) socket that can sit on the desk or clamp to the tank?