PDA

View Full Version : chiller costs

ctenophors rule
06/30/2010, 03:06 PM
how much would he electric bill be a month for a 1/16th horsepower chiller cooling a tank with aproximately 45 gallons of water by 5 degrees from 78 to 73?

im just wondering because i have seen window untis that are advertised to keep the same temps and run at 80 dollars a year. i will be using a fish room so it might be cheaper to do the window unit. what do you think.

p.s. the house shouldn't ever be above 76-78 degrees but if we loose power from a hurricane i'll need a cooling device i can run on a small generator.

also how noisy are chillers? are any truly silent?

thanks guys.

tommy.

chimmike
06/30/2010, 03:31 PM
whew, thats kinda chilly for a reef tank!

as for a 1/16th hp, that seems kinda underpowered for a 45g. You can't compare a/c costs to chiller costs. A chiller is like a refrigerator that runs more constantly.
I ran a 1/3hp chiller on a tank volume of about 150g in my garage and it cost me at least $50/month during the summer. To maintain 80*. That's with lights running at night.

I'm guessing yours will cost $20 a month or so depending on room temp. Again, to chill to 73* is some chilly water. I'm guessing it's for a cephalopod or something?

ctenophors rule
06/30/2010, 03:34 PM
whew, thats kinda chilly for a reef tank!

as for a 1/16th hp, that seems kinda underpowered for a 45g. You can't compare a/c costs to chiller costs. A chiller is like a refrigerator that runs more constantly.
I ran a 1/3hp chiller on a tank volume of about 150g in my garage and it cost me at least $50/month during the summer. To maintain 80*. That's with lights running at night.

I'm guessing yours will cost $20 a month or so depending on room temp. Again, to chill to 73* is some chilly water. I'm guessing it's for a cephalopod or something?

seahorses actualy.

hmm, the window unit that i saw said it could maintain 74 degrees and would only cost 80 $ a year.

if i kept the whole room at 74 degrees my tanks would be fine. it wont need to chill much seeing as the temperatuere of the house is already around 76.

ctenophors rule
06/30/2010, 03:38 PM
also, do you know of a formula so i can convert watts or whatever into cost on electricity?

also do window units use air from the outside? because it would be better if it just cooled the inside air a little more. do they have to be run out the window?

and finaly on my dads window units he has water leaking from the bottom. he says its from condensation. do they use copper in these units or would it be safe to recycle into the aquariums as a top off?

thanks guys

chimmike
06/30/2010, 03:42 PM
depends on your power rate.
as for an a/c unit costing only $80/yr to maintain 73*, that seems optimistic. They don't know how durn hot it gets in FL !

ctenophors rule
06/30/2010, 03:51 PM
depends on your power rate.
as for an a/c unit costing only $80/yr to maintain 73*, that seems optimistic. They don't know how durn hot it gets in FL !

how much do you think one would actualy cost. this was at sams club that i saw that...

ctenophors rule
06/30/2010, 04:00 PM
http://www.beananimal.com/articles/dorm-fridge-aquarium-chiller.aspx

this was interesting