PDA

View Full Version : Refugium question

Seouljer
06/30/2010, 03:20 PM
Hello,
If i get a HOB fuge like a CPR fuge 2, and run it along side a skimmer will i be able to get rid of my power filter? Its a 36 gallon bowfront. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks
Seouljer

thegrun
06/30/2010, 03:23 PM
You could eliminate the filter, but unless you add some filter media to the fuge, you are likely going to see more small floating particles in the water column.

Allmost
06/30/2010, 03:25 PM
Hello,
If i get a HOB fuge like a CPR fuge 2, and run it along side a skimmer will i be able to get rid of my power filter? Its a 36 gallon bowfront. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks
Seouljer

what is your power filtered used for currently ?

Seouljer
06/30/2010, 04:01 PM
I just use it for filtration really. Im new to the hobby and i got it from the LFS. Im using it for the carbon mostly. I figured id add a filter sock with carbon in it to the fuge to and also have a dsb in the fuge with chaeto. That plus the skimmer and LR and LS would be my filtration. Plus id beable to get a mandrin spotted goby lol

cewoodall3
06/30/2010, 07:41 PM
I would think you could easily get rid of it.

Seouljer
07/01/2010, 09:59 AM
Cool deal now i just need a fuge.....lol

darnocobra
07/01/2010, 11:29 AM
I did basically the same path you are on, added the HOB fuge right next to the skimmer on the tank. Some things I went through are...

At first the fuge is a cyano breeding ground. I have the medium fuge, and put in the DSB, with live rock rubble on top of it, then chaeto on top of that. The cyano cleared up after about a month with manual removal and using a toothbrush along the walls of the fuge.

I am running the pump slowly through the fuge...set at about 100 gph on the 200 gph pump that mine came with. I had the thicker chaeto and it really hasnt grown, but it hasnt turned white. I recently added the stringy chaeto and will wait and see.
It has become a haven to pods, bristle stars, worms, ect, but the DSB/chaeto has not noticably helped in the reduction of nitrates. I am thinking just rock rubble may have been a better choice. Would have allowed more room for pods and chaeto.

In trying to run chemi-pure (filter sock with carbon and GFO) I was unable to put it into the skimmer outlet or outlet of the fuge because the flow restrictions caused an overflow. I ended up putting it right in the fuge, near the inlet. This may end up reducing the effectiveness of the fuge. Will have to see.

It was rather difficult to block the light from the fuge from entering the display tank. I have the light set to run reverse the display tank. I put a 65K growth light over the fuge, then used some tank backing to block the sides of the fuge.

These have been my observations and I may/may not know what I am doing.

Chris27
07/01/2010, 01:13 PM
Use of carbon in the HOB filter will be much more effective then using it in a bag...same goes for phosphate removal media.

Seouljer
07/01/2010, 02:30 PM
I did basically the same path you are on, added the HOB fuge right next to the skimmer on the tank. Some things I went through are...

At first the fuge is a cyano breeding ground. I have the medium fuge, and put in the DSB, with live rock rubble on top of it, then chaeto on top of that. The cyano cleared up after about a month with manual removal and using a toothbrush along the walls of the fuge.

I am running the pump slowly through the fuge...set at about 100 gph on the 200 gph pump that mine came with. I had the thicker chaeto and it really hasnt grown, but it hasnt turned white. I recently added the stringy chaeto and will wait and see.
It has become a haven to pods, bristle stars, worms, ect, but the DSB/chaeto has not noticably helped in the reduction of nitrates. I am thinking just rock rubble may have been a better choice. Would have allowed more room for pods and chaeto.

In trying to run chemi-pure (filter sock with carbon and GFO) I was unable to put it into the skimmer outlet or outlet of the fuge because the flow restrictions caused an overflow. I ended up putting it right in the fuge, near the inlet. This may end up reducing the effectiveness of the fuge. Will have to see.

It was rather difficult to block the light from the fuge from entering the display tank. I have the light set to run reverse the display tank. I put a 65K growth light over the fuge, then used some tank backing to block the sides of the fuge.

These have been my observations and I may/may not know what I am doing.

Wow thanks for the run down that really helps me to visuallize what im gonna have to go through to get my set up. I really appreciate the response

Use of carbon in the HOB filter will be much more effective then using it in a bag...same goes for phosphate removal media.

I was thinking the same thing but its gonna be hard to keep the Powerfilter and HOB fuge AND skimmer all on a tank thats only 30 inches across. I may beable to fit it all but ill have to get the dimentions of my skimmer and filter and look to see what room i have left.

All the reponses have been greats keep em coming if ya got more suggestions
Seouljer