PDA

View Full Version : Sump help

hockey00
06/30/2010, 04:38 PM
I have read numerous post on sump builds. The more i read the more confused i become. Most designs i have seen have three compartments with a bubble trap. Where do most people put there skimmer? I always thought in the middle but i have seen some with skimmer at one end. Which is better? I have a 56 gallon dt with a 20 gallon high sump. How high should my baffles be? My skimmer needs 8" but what about the rest? Thanks for any help

usefulidiot213
06/30/2010, 05:28 PM
Your sump design is what ever works for you. Mine is Fuge-Return-Skimmer. I have one overflow that dumps into the skimmer compartment, and the other overflow dumps into the Fuge, but at a slower rate. I have a bubble that goes Over/Under/Over from the skimmer compartment to the return. The water just flows over from the fuge. Because the flow is slow enough that it doesn't create bubbles. My Sump is 20" tall. My baffles on the skimmer side are 14" tall, and the baffle for the fuge is 17". My skimmer likes to be in 10" of water so I made a platform that is 4" tall for the skimmer to sit on.

I am not saying this is the best way to make a sump, but it's the way I like it :D

Hope this helps