PDA

View Full Version : Capture, ID?

ogre1231
07/01/2010, 07:43 AM
Yeah, I'm that guy....
I recently set up my reef tank with LR from the beach. Today I found a cute little mantis shrimp. Well I found one the day I set it up, but it was only about 1.5 cm long and couldn't catch him. Today I found one a bit larger. I'm trying to identify it so that I know how to care for it and how big it might get. Tomorrow I'll be going down to the pet store to get a little tank for the whippersnapper.

I have searched through the entire "Roy's List" thread already. I think it might be a Gonodactylaceus falcatus. The description mildly fits his looks. If anyone can help that would be great. What exactly should I be looking for in identification? I am located in Okinawa btw if that helps with local for ID.

He's a smart little bugger. I actually tried killing him at first because I didn't want him in my tank. First thing he did after I invaded his space with a death spike, he put a door on his hole! After that I realized I needed to keep him alive.:dance:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4075/4752059978_eb3777a03a_b.jpg

Gonodactylus
07/01/2010, 10:07 AM
THis is Gonodactylus chiragra commonly found in the lower intertidal in your area.

Roy

ogre1231
07/01/2010, 10:15 AM
Roy, thanks for the info! I'll now go about getting the little bugger some accommodations. Can I ask what characteristics drew you to this conclusion?

Gonodactylus
07/01/2010, 10:24 AM
I've collected hundreds of G. chiragra from around the Pacific. While color varies from dark olive to tan, the color pattern is fairly constant - particularly in this lighter color morph. I'm guessing that this is a female, although males can sometimes be this light..

Roy

Thurge
07/01/2010, 11:22 AM
Very pretty.
If you have not added anything that is not local to the tank (and not local but acquired at the fish store), except for water made from a dry salt, you might think of returning this mantis to the ocean. Normally I would never recommend returning something kept in a tank back to the ocean as you can be mixing bacteria and other microscopic organisms not naturally found there. That is why I said only do it if you have not added anything not local.
Here is why you might want to think about this. I love mantis shrimp, and think they are one of the coolest animals to keep. BUT G.chiragra are not the most interactive mantis species. They really tend to keep to their burrows only pearing out, unless there is something in their space. Many people get this species because they are very common in the hobbie, but can be dissapointed in their reclusive nature. They are almost alwasy watching from the enterance of their burrow but don't wander around the tank like other species. On the positive side this is one of the more territorial species so if you do introduce something like a snail or crab, it will not hesitate to come out with all guns blazing to destroy the invader. Also it is one of the stronger mantis for its size so it can take down some impressive prey. Their strength can be a little hazardous though because they could crack a tank. I kept my G.chiragra in a standard glass tank with nothing to keep him from the glass. Damaged tanks are very rare but it is a possibility, so many people will place a piece of acrylic against the bottom glass, under the sand to keep the mantis from trying to burrow through the glass.

ogre1231
07/01/2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the quick responses! So what makes a female separate from the males other than the lighter colors? Or are the lighter color combinations key to being able to determine sex?

Since this is apparently a particularly non interactive species of mantid and boring...I've got no problemos releasing her into back into the wild. Any suggestions on releasling her bbackk into the wild?

ogre1231
07/01/2010, 07:20 PM
hehe, pardon my bad spelling, the beers were flowing quite well. I don't even know why i asked about releasing her. hahaha. She is gonna go back to the rocks today. hopefully she'll find a good home. I hope I don't get schwacked while en route.