PDA

View Full Version : Active swimmer for a 20H

jtgordon20
07/02/2010, 02:04 AM
I have been ordering my equipment for my 20 high that I will be setting up and was wondering on a active swimmer to get.
I plan on an ocellaris pair ( normal or black), and a blenny or clowngoby.
I was wondering on what fish I can get for this size tank that will cruise around and be fun to watch. Thanks
Tank perimeters are 24"Lx12"Wx16"H

fatrip
07/02/2010, 12:09 PM
I would suggest a wrasse. They swim in and out of the rocks and will go up and down in the tank. either a 6 line or a possum would be my vote for a wrasse. Other options would be a Pseudochromis, very colorful and very active as well. Damsels do swim around alot and can come in a verity of colors. You might be able to get away with a pygmy angel but it would be rather cramped.

cody6766
07/02/2010, 12:35 PM
too small for a pygmy angel IMO. I had one in my 33g cube and wouldn't keep one in anything smaller. They're very busy fish.

A McCoskers Wrasse would be a cool addition. they're beautiful fish and very active.

jtgordon20
07/02/2010, 12:51 PM
I was thinking about a Six Line Wrasse. They have nice color. Just wasn't sure if they would be fine in a 20H.
Would I need to make a screen lid for my tank with him? I've seen the DIY for a lid.

fatrip
07/02/2010, 12:56 PM
I do have had some wrasses that were jumpers and you'd here them bounce off the canopy once in a great while but I've never heard of or seen a 6 line jump but I would probably make a DYI screen hood just in case.

jtgordon20
07/02/2010, 12:59 PM
Alright.
I'm hoping that my Aquaclear filter comes in the mail on monday or tuesday then i'll start filling the tank up. Sand and salt should come in same time. Then I hope I can get some live rock for good price or i'll go with marcorocks.
With my aquaclear can I mod it into a refugium now or should I wait till the tank cycles?

fatrip
07/02/2010, 01:52 PM
Mod it now no need to put macro algae in it yet tho.

I do have one suggestion tho. Go with good Live rock. This is the basis of your biological filtration and not an area that you want to skimp on. If you are on a tight budge I would at least get 2 to 3 nice size pieces of good LR and place it on good porous marco rock. This will help you in the long run.

firsthesitation
07/02/2010, 02:42 PM
I like my Midas Blenny in my 45. He's always swimming.

GhostCon1
07/02/2010, 03:16 PM
My two ocelaris clowns are active swimmers and swim every where but the bottom.

jtgordon20
07/02/2010, 03:34 PM
My backup plan is to get marcorocks and some seed rock.
But if I can get good live rock that will fill my tank then i'll go with it. For less waiting.
When should I go pick up macroalgae for the fuge?

fatrip
07/02/2010, 09:08 PM
I would say after the cycle.