PDA

View Full Version : Marineland thinking of expanding the DD line

ironeagle2006
07/02/2010, 07:15 AM
Marineland is seriously thinking of expanding the DD series of tanks. They are looking at a 7 foot and also a 8 foot model with gallonage of 350 and 400 each. They are suprised how many people want tanks of that size and were underestimating the number of people that would want tanks in the 300+ range. I guess they never talked to SWF keepers huh.

The Punisher
07/03/2010, 12:38 AM
The 400 would be a pretty dang nice tank! I'm not surprised by the popularity at all, people have always gone to custom tank builders for tanks with more depth front to back, paying way more for a tank than Marineland can mass produce and sell them for.

RokleM
07/05/2010, 09:42 AM
Not sure I understand the point of the post or where the info comes from.

Just as some further information... Marineland (just like most other tank manufactures) will custom build just about any tank size based on your requirements. I recently had one completed (30x30x27). Just hit up your local Marineland sales place. I worked with a LFS in Columbus to get mine. Personally, it wouldn't make sense for just about any manufacture to put 300+g tanks on their sites as base stock models, even if "the number of people that would want tanks in the 300+ range" seems considerable. I'd bet for every tank in the the 300+ range, 10's of thousands, possibly even 100's of thousands of smaller tanks if you consider all the hobbies are purchased. So while it may appear to be a "lot" of interest, the numbers are actually pretty small.

And FYI, many of the deep dimension ideas not only came from a saltwater guy, but a fellow reefkeeper ;)

The Punisher
07/05/2010, 09:52 AM
I think that the point is that when people see these bigger tanks on a manufacturers website or in a showroom and they don't have to go the custom route they're more likely to purchase them. Listing them as base stock models, IMO definitely increases sales. Granted, not at the volume of smaller tanks.

RokleM
07/05/2010, 10:12 AM
Good point, however you also have to realize that not a lot of distributors or LFS will keep 350-500g tanks on hand waiting to be purchased. The profit margins aren't great for the amount of space they take up, are harder to move and easier to damage (if the LFS even has enough capable employees to safely move it), sell a lot slower if at all in comparison to smaller tanks, etc. A lot of those are made to order by tank manufactures after being ordered at a LFS. Even the biggest tank store in mid ohio (granted it will vary based on locality, what local stores are willing to risk profit/loss wise, and what the local need is), only has maybe one or two tank at 250+. They carry well over 50 models with an inventory consisting of hundreds of tanks. Tie into that the fact I'd guess a vast majority of big tank buyers have already been in the hobby and are upgrading, most know EXACTLY what they want. The exact type of silicone, exactly which panes of glass to be starfire, etc. If I wanted a big tank that was on a store floor, but it was the wrong type of silicone, I'd absolutely have them custom order one instead.

My point is, the options are already there, but you're right in the fact that increasing the advertising of the availability of those options would help certain manufactures move more product.

pbnj
07/05/2010, 03:14 PM
Good point, however you also have to realize that not a lot of distributors or LFS will keep 350-500g tanks on hand waiting to be purchased. The profit margins aren't great for the amount of space they take up, are harder to move and easier to damage (if the LFS even has enough capable employees to safely move it), sell a lot slower if at all in comparison to smaller tanks, etc. A lot of those are made to order by tank manufactures after being ordered at a LFS. Even the biggest tank store in mid ohio (granted it will vary based on locality, what local stores are willing to risk profit/loss wise, and what the local need is), only has maybe one or two tank at 250+. They carry well over 50 models with an inventory consisting of hundreds of tanks. Tie into that the fact I'd guess a vast majority of big tank buyers have already been in the hobby and are upgrading, most know EXACTLY what they want. The exact type of silicone, exactly which panes of glass to be starfire, etc. If I wanted a big tank that was on a store floor, but it was the wrong type of silicone, I'd absolutely have them custom order one instead.

My point is, the options are already there, but you're right in the fact that increasing the advertising of the availability of those options would help certain manufactures move more product.
You're not looking at the big picture....

LFS make most of their money (and margin) selling people things to put in their tanks, not the tanks themselves. Selling someone a 300g+ tank is like a long-term investment.

....and the more visible the tank is, the better it will sell (ooooo, ahhh, gotta have it!).

The Punisher
07/05/2010, 03:34 PM
That's also a great point. I still see nothin bad about manufacturers offering big tanks as base models. LFS don't have to stock a ton of 400 gallon tanks but having them readily available to customers can't hurt.

JazzMan
07/25/2010, 08:29 AM
Does anyone have any more information on this?

Rickyrooz1
07/25/2010, 09:33 AM
How can I get a quote from Marineland for a 60"x40"x24" tank?

RokleM
07/26/2010, 07:56 AM
How can I get a quote from Marineland for a 60"x40"x24" tank?

Any LFS that stocks marineland should be able to handle it for you.

jaa1456
07/26/2010, 08:02 AM
Haha, this is kind of funny, Rokle are you saying you invented the deep tanks? Just asking. And I have 2 LFS near me that always have at least 12 or so tanks from 220-550 gallons in stock. In acrylic or glass. I guess I'm just use to seeing them and never thought about it much. 300 gallons is not really a big deal considering that 265's have been around for a long time. I had one 16 years ago and it was on the showroom floor. Just my input. Ps my 265 was my first reef tank 16 years ago.

RokleM
07/26/2010, 08:48 AM
Rokle are you saying you invented the deep tanks?

Nope. Nothing to do with the company other than having owned and custom ordered two of their tanks.

newtank
07/26/2010, 02:20 PM
I always thought that they didn't make them bigger because they wouldn't fit through the door. I know I had to build a customer stand to fit my 150DD cube, because the stock stands are too low and anything taller wouldn't fit my tiny 32" standard door. I guess those who have french doors or a dock on their house could be potential buyers :)

nikon187
07/26/2010, 02:59 PM
i believe the max length for the dd is 11' per marineland (555g)

D-Nak
07/27/2010, 12:03 AM
I'm envious of you people who can even get DD tanks. Here in CA we can't get them because the distributor of Marineland also owns a competing tank manufacturer.

Anyway, without posting a press release or something with substance, this is all hearsay.

I understand the marketing concept -- someone reading about these tanks may say "oh wow, they make a 400 gallon tank, oh yah I'll get that." My two cents is that a tank of that size would most likely be custom built anyway -- meaning most distributors would probably have to place an order with Marineland to build it, to get it for the LFS. It's one thing to say Marineland makes it, it's another to actually get it. I just can't see Marineland cranking out a ton of large tanks and then have them sitting around, especially in this economy. It just doesn't make sense.

RokleM
07/27/2010, 08:21 AM
I understand the marketing concept -- someone reading about these tanks may say "oh wow, they make a 400 gallon tank, oh yah I'll get that." My two cents is that a tank of that size would most likely be custom built anyway -- meaning most distributors would probably have to place an order with Marineland to build it, to get it for the LFS. It's one thing to say Marineland makes it, it's another to actually get it. I just can't see Marineland cranking out a ton of large tanks and then have them sitting around, especially in this economy. It just doesn't make sense.

Precisely my point :) Marineland will only build them if distributors buy them. Distributors will only buy them if LFS buy them. The vast majority of LFS will only buy them if someone places an order or they are one of the minority that have a ton of space to show one or two off.

tnorthern
08/14/2010, 02:13 PM
Saw my first Marineland DD in person last night at Exotic here in Sac. I didn't ask how much it costs but boy is it a nice looking tank.

I'm envious of you people who can even get DD tanks. Here in CA we can't get them because the distributor of Marineland also owns a competing tank manufacturer.

Anyway, without posting a press release or something with substance, this is all hearsay.

D-Nak
08/14/2010, 04:55 PM
I heard someone in the Bay Area (and slightly beyond if they are in Sac) was putting together a one-time order for DD tanks. To be honest, I didn't believe it was going to happen, but obviously it happened since you saw one.

CMcNeil
08/14/2010, 08:17 PM
Saw my first Marineland DD in person last night at Exotic here in Sac. I didn't ask how much it costs but boy is it a nice looking tank.

the DD tanks arent too expensive,a few locals here have them.one guy got his 5x3 DD for about $1500 i believe.they are great tanks thats for sure but as stated before i doubt they will have them prebuilt just laying around.im sure they will be custom orders only.

jprince
08/14/2010, 08:24 PM
Absolutely LOVE my 200 deep dimension. Nothing like 3 feet of depth to play with!!! Great footprint!!:thumbsup:

tnorthern
08/15/2010, 01:01 AM
According to Marineland's website the DD line is a production item thus reducing the cost. I found a price online for $1955 for the 300 gallon DD with a starfire front panel (local pickup only.) That price plus the ability to have a tank that deep without going custom really makes a good argument for my next tank, provided that wife gives the green light!

the DD tanks arent too expensive,a few locals here have them.one guy got his 5x3 DD for about $1500 i believe.they are great tanks thats for sure but as stated before i doubt they will have them prebuilt just laying around.im sure they will be custom orders only.