PDA

View Full Version : Switched from B-Ionic to Bulk Reef Supply?

jfingers8
07/02/2010, 01:47 PM
I have just ordered a package for my CA,ALK,MG dosing from B-Ionic to Bulk Reef Supply obviously for the fact that BRS is much cheaper. My question is, is there going to be a big difference is the amount that i dose daily between the 2?

Cozmo4
07/02/2010, 03:30 PM
I found the BRS product to be far more diluted if mixed per the directions. It's still quite a bit cheaper, but you'll have to increase the amount you put in.

Potsy
07/02/2010, 03:51 PM
The website has a calculator that will tell you precisely the amount of additive needed for a certain gain in alk/calcium. I've been using BRS two-part for four years and don't remember how compares to B-Ionic as far as concentration goes, but after a while, you'll just learn to adjust if there are any differences.

d0ughb0y
07/02/2010, 04:01 PM
though a minor issue, brs 2 part can increase your salinity over time while b-ionic does not (I think that's what it claims in their product description).
in brs 2 part, sodium in sodium bicarbonate combines with chloride from calcium chloride to form sodium chloride = salt.

chuckreef
07/02/2010, 04:22 PM
last post is not entirely accurate.

outy
07/02/2010, 07:25 PM
last post is not entirely accurate.

+1

it would depend on the size of your tank, on a 10g maybe it would but in my 100g after 6 years my salinity never changed and I didnt do a water change in 4 years so I would have known.

in 120g true water volume with a ato dripping kalk. I use about 10 tbs mixed in ro/di water in a drinking glass for cal about once a week to every other week and about 6tbs of baked baking soda and my corals flurish

d0ughb0y
07/02/2010, 11:28 PM
that's why it is a minor, perhaps a non issue.
but you certainly cannot deny the reaction of calcium chloride with sodium bicarbonate will result in sodium chloride, unless you can present your chemical equations as proof otherwise. it is what it is. thus there are other alternatives that won't have that side effect, but cost more. it's not like anyone using brs 2 part is going to get rich with the money saved or someone using b-ionic is going to go broke,