PDA

View Full Version : transplanting SPS corals

Allmost
07/02/2010, 02:33 PM
hello,
and apologies if the title sounds stupid lol so I see all these SPS corals, which look like a mix of other pieces, so made me think is transplanting SPS corals possible ?

I have alot that are growing into each other but the stronger one ususally burns the other ones, although my birds nest is growing on a green moni, and none are burned yet !

when u look at Ora's birdsnest for example, those look like stylopora ? and birds nest together :S

is there such a thing ?

tmgrash
07/02/2010, 02:41 PM
They do graft different corals together, but I don't think that is what you are seeing. There are many different variations in corals which look similar and to confuse things even more there is likely hybridization and cross breeding occuring in the wild.

Allmost
07/02/2010, 02:53 PM
They do graft different corals together, but I don't think that is what you are seeing. There are many different variations in corals which look similar and to confuse things even more there is likely hybridization and cross breeding occuring in the wild.

so are multicolor SPS pieces transplanted ? or they are just like that ?

any links or info on transplanting different corals together ? would be really interesting I think.

I see alot about sticking corals on dead coral skeleton to grow over it but nothing like mixing two live corals up

nvdiz
07/02/2010, 03:29 PM
i think grafting would only work if the coral were of the same species.

i also don't think two corals of different species can successfuly become one. well not at least by how we raise them. if they somehow managed to sexually fertilize one of the other would i only see it possible.

right?