PDA

View Full Version : Removing Crushed Coral

*reefermadness*
07/02/2010, 05:59 PM
What is the best way to remove crushed coral from a mixed sandbed in a display tank?

Toddrtrex
07/02/2010, 07:58 PM
Here is an older thread of mine from when I removed my CC sandbed (( granted I was also switching out the live rock.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1233581

*reefermadness*
07/02/2010, 10:01 PM
Is there also a possibility that I will cause an ammonia spike? Im using a piece of window screen and doing it in small sections.

Mountain_Medic
07/02/2010, 10:03 PM
It could potentialy raise levels of nitrates, nitrites, and/or ammonia, as anything trapped in the sand will be released into the water column.

Dave VG
07/03/2010, 08:00 AM
How long has it been in there? If it is old like 2 or 3 years or more then yes most definitely it will cause a spike in ammonia and nitrates. How high depends on how much you take out at a time and how much gets into the water column. You are doing it right tho by doing a little at a time. Do one section and after a few hours check for ammonia and nitrates. When there down to acceptable levels start another section. Do this each time you remove some. You should be ok.

*reefermadness*
07/03/2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks Dave, its not that old only about 2 months, we set up the tank using what we had available at the time, and now were doing some upgrading. Im going to reuse the CC I remove in my refugium, I just dont like the way it looks in the display tank. Once I finish I will try and get some pics. Im currently removing about 3 cups a day, trying to keep my water column as clear as possible. I am also running an emperor 400 and Red Sea Prism PS.

Dave VG
07/03/2010, 02:33 PM
I would be leery using it there as well. It can be a detritus magnet which could keep nitrates high. Been there done that. Guess it might be ok if you kept a clean up crew in there. Removed mine and used it in the driveway lol.

BigOldReef
07/03/2010, 04:41 PM
Are you asking about the technique for removal, or the mechanics ?

For the mechanical portion I would use a large diameter siphon, so you vacuum up the coral, and everything in it and remove it from the tank. Then do a water change.

*reefermadness*
07/05/2010, 02:21 PM
Both, will the larger diameter siphon pick up only the crushed coral and not my sand as well?