PDA

View Full Version : Help me fix my tank

Skadwick
07/02/2010, 06:06 PM
So, it started as a cyano problem...which lasted a few months, but I was able to fix it by reaquascaping to allow more flow inbetween the rocks + many many manyyyy water changes. The tank was awesome for about two months, but now I have bryopsis :( I have absolutely no idea how my algae problems arise, but nothing I have tried with this has worked.

Pics:
tank about two months ago before the Bryopsis, but after the cyano.
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/skadwick62/Fish/DSCF0506.jpg

and the tank now. (The diatoms are from me trying to clean my sand a little with my finger tips. I didn't stir it up much but I still got a little bloom)

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/skadwick62/Fish/newerfishhhhdsfas002.jpg
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/skadwick62/Fish/newerfishhhhdsfas008.jpg
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/skadwick62/Fish/newerfishhhhdsfas009.jpg
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/skadwick62/Fish/newerfishhhhdsfas014.jpg

I run chemi-pure elite, phosban, and purigen. I do weekly 4gallon water changed with seachem reef salt using either water from an ro/di unit or distilled water from Kroger. Both have been tested with tds meter before use. Running a bak-pak 2 skimmer, not great but better than nothing. Stock BC29 pump with a koralia 1 and 2. MH blub about 5 or 6 months old...replacing soon but I don't think it is the problem yet.

I think the problem might be with my chaeto. I previously had an in tank fuge, but the chaeto was not growing. I replaced it with a friends chaeto and got a hob fuge, so we will see how that plays out. I have started scrubbing rock and plucking out as much algea as I can during water changes, but it always grows back.

Help pleaseeee :(

jflick345
07/02/2010, 08:35 PM
[welcome]

How long has your tank been set up? Is it just the 2 fish? As hard as it is, this will probably be a situation where patience and persistence will be the only solution. I would just continue doing regular water changes and manual removal whenever you can. I know you don't want to hear it and you'd like a quicker solution but this is just another step on your way to a mature tank. This too shall pass.

Skadwick
07/02/2010, 08:46 PM
Kind of what I figured I would have to do lol. Tank has been up about a 1&1/2 years, but I did a major revamp in march in which the tank was completely emptied, sand replaced, rocks broken apart, cleaned etc to fix my detritus getting stuck in no flow spots problem. But when i did this I retained about 50% of the original water. Guess I'll just stick with it and hope for the best =/

Would you advise against adding corals while my tank is in this condition? I wanted to start trying lower end sps soon, but I know sps hate dirty water.

jflick345
07/02/2010, 09:09 PM
You know , my guess was going to be 3-4 months for your tank age bc that's when I had a nice outbreak of algae. That seems to coincide with your breakdown and seems to be to blame. It's kind of like a new tank setup now. Keep an eye on your levels if you've had detritus issues but my guess is with all the algae it'll be pointless and probably show near 0.

I don't really know that you can call a tank with algae issues necessarily "dirty" water, especially if you are getting those false 0 readings. The algae inside the tank is scrubbing just as much as the fuge. (maybe better) That's part of the reason manual removal is important. If it dies it'll just reintroduce the nutrients it took up. How much/how often do you feed? Minimizing nutrients in the key to winning the battle. Depending on the sps you want, corals don't add much bioload at all and montis and birdsnest are pretty hardy so they'd probably be fine until you get it all sorted out. I had some green birdsnest in my tank when I was having some trouble and it was fine.

jflick345
07/02/2010, 09:14 PM
I should also add that I currently have a monster bubble algae attack right now and my 3 birdsnests are growing like crazy

Skadwick
07/02/2010, 09:27 PM
Feeding might actually be where the problem is coming from. I actually have four fish, Midas blenny, fairy wrasse, clown goby, and a yellow watchman. I fed once every otherday until about a month ago I noticed my midas blenny was getting extremely skinny. He has always been skinny, but it was getting very bad. After some looking around I came to the conclusion that he had a parasite. I started feeding everyday and some times twice a day while medicating the food until he got over it. He is finally starting to fatten up again, and I have gone back to a lighter feeding schedule and plan to feed even less soon.

I feed Mysis shrimp and some algea flake food stuff. I rinse the mysis, turn off pumps while feeding, and all the food is usually gone before it hits the bottom.

Also, didnt post this earlier but my tank was reading nitrates. I was getting about 10 or 15, but I assume that is from my bad chaeto that was not growing. Hopeing to see a slight decrease when I test tomorrow.