PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Lifereef Overflow Owners - Noise Level

kato12
07/02/2010, 07:19 PM
Hello,

I have a tempered tank that I can't drill, so I'm looking at an overflow box.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the single version of a Lifereef prefilter/overflow box. Numerous other threads have detailed the reliability and quality of the Lifereef overflow products, so I have no questions there. Based on what I've read, if I can't drill, this is the way to go.

My main question is with the noise. My tank is in the living room, and I need something quiet! My current hang on the bank skimmer (Reef Octopus 800SBS) is not quiet and I don't want to add to the noise! (Probably will eventually replace my skimmer).

So... all you Lifereef overflow owners, what is the sound like with your setup? Did you have to do any mods to make it quiet? Do you have any tips for me? (Pump recommendation, perhaps?) Is your tank located near your TV like mine? Do you have to turn up your volume substantially louder?

Bottom-line: I just want to make sure that before I go with a Lifereef overflow that there are ways to make the system quiet.

Thanks!
Jonathan

brannock_16
07/02/2010, 07:28 PM
I am tagging along on this one too. I also have a tempered tank that is close to the tv that I am putting an overflow on this summer. I am debating between the lifereef or an eshopps overflow box. Bump.

Toddrtrex
07/02/2010, 07:48 PM
Mine is fairly quiet -- got the silencer that they offer. It isn't as quiet as a reef ready, but overall it is pretty good. One thing that would have helped me more is if I would have used a couple of 45*s instead of one 90* for the elbows.

jhoff
07/02/2010, 09:48 PM
Mine is right next to the TV you can get there silencer or I made one of these for about 6bucks http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/HGB_construction.html works great here's a pic of mine with and without the cover works great..
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww318/jameshoff/021.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww318/jameshoff/010-1.jpg

brannock_16
07/02/2010, 09:59 PM
is that the life reef or the eshopps you have jhoff?

jhoff
07/02/2010, 10:06 PM
is that the life reef or the eshopps you have jhoff?

It's a lifereef i ordered it in blue.If you look real hard u can see the name on the side of the outside box.

brannock_16
07/02/2010, 10:15 PM
I don't want to steal the thread...but are you happy with the Life Reef? Would you recommend it? Do you have any videos of it in action?

jhoff
07/02/2010, 10:26 PM
No video but yes i would highly recommend it.Can't compare it to the eshopps but it's worth the extra $$$.

EllieSuz
07/02/2010, 10:54 PM
Mine made some noise when I first set it up; a gurgle that drove my husband nuts. I read the instructions a little more carefully and followed the suggestion to put flexible airline hose through the return hose until you hit that "sweet" spot. Darned if I know why this works, but the thing is now quieter than my old reef ready tank ever was. I am totally satisfied with the Lifereef product and the excellent customer service I got from them.

kato12
07/03/2010, 12:57 AM
Thanks for everyone's comments so far...

Brannock - I did a fair amount of research this afternoon on overflows. FWIW, every thread I found said Lifereef was the way to go. Quality and reliability were second to none. Eshoppes came up a few times in the threads I read but Life Reef seemed more popular...

Toddrtrex
07/03/2010, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I have both. And if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have gotten the Eshoppes one, would have been the extra money and picked up another LifeReef.

venom550pm
07/23/2010, 02:03 PM
I purchased a whole life reef system in May including an overflow box, and it is in the same room as my TV. The sump is behind the wall in a closet, so it isn't a straight shot down and it is very quiet. It is actually quieter than the empereor 400 that i used until i got the Lifereef sump. The service Jeff from Lifereef supplies is second to none and the quality of his product is impeccable, i would highly recommend Lifereef.

saf1
07/23/2010, 02:15 PM
I'll vouch for service. I don't own the overflow but I do own one of his skimmers. I've had that thing for over seven years and it is perfect. I've exchanged emails with Jeff a couple of times and he responds quick once he reads it. He has different work hours than 8 to 5 - so keep that in mind.

I like the skimmer and his service.

Yogre
07/23/2010, 02:23 PM
I ran the single Lifereef box with the Lifereef silencer for 2 years on my cichlid tank. The overflow itself was almost completely silent. The only noise from the setup was in the sump, and that was from the way I had the sump plumbed, not the fault of the overflow.

Another big plus for the Lifereef box is reliability. I shut my pump off frequently, and I never once had the siphon fail to restart.

If I ever need to set up a non-drilled tank, I'll definitely reach for my Lifereef overflow.

jb61264
07/23/2010, 02:27 PM
I used to have LifeReef overflow on a 40 breeder before I upgraded to my currrent 75 mixed reef (which I drilled and installed an overflow on)...the LifeReef was very quiet for me and definitely top notch quality as well.

Saltfun2003
07/23/2010, 02:28 PM
They can get loud if you are trying to push near there max limit gph. I have had mine about 7 years and not one flood caused by it. I made my own silencer for it when it use to be on my main tank. I still use it in my fishroom for my fuge. All and all if you want more then say 500gph going through it go with the double version.