PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor

kaddy522
07/02/2010, 08:40 PM
Hello,
I have a 90 gallon reef tank well did it cracked two months ago. I am getting ready to set up my new one I saved most everything even a lot of the water. But I want to know if a calcium reactor would be something to purchase for the future because I have the money now but not sure if I would really need it later. Thank you

The Punisher
07/02/2010, 10:22 PM
What are you planning on keeping in your tank?

kaddy522
07/03/2010, 12:25 AM
Well i want to keep some stuff like frogspawn, hammers, and some other LPS stuff later one down the line.

The Punisher
07/03/2010, 12:32 AM
With a 90 stocked with mainly SPS, I don't think you'd need a calcium reactor. Have you looked into dosing 2 part?

kaddy522
07/03/2010, 12:53 AM
Yes I have been dosing with a 2 part for about a year now. Everything seems fine with doing that until I get busy.

The Punisher
07/03/2010, 03:31 AM
In my earlier post I meant a 90 stocked with LPS, which it sounds like you have, not SPS. Even with SPS, you'd be O.K. without one.

Yes I have been dosing with a 2 part for about a year now. Everything seems fine with doing that until I get busy.

Have you considered a dosing pump, so you don't have to manually dose it?

kaddy522
07/03/2010, 11:01 AM
Well I haven't thought about a dosing pump.

The Punisher
07/03/2010, 04:05 PM
BRS Dosing Pump (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/calcium-alkalinity-magnesium/two-part-accessories/brs-2-part-doser-1-1-ml-per-minute.html)

Check that site out, they have a lot of good stuff for dosing.

kaddy522
07/04/2010, 12:00 AM
Thank you for the website

lvpd186
07/04/2010, 12:33 AM
Actually I would think a calcium reactor would be a good addition. If you get a good one, like a geo, you can get it set and walk away from it until you need to fill the co tank or media (3+ months for me). Do you monitor your calcium levels now?

The Punisher
07/04/2010, 12:48 AM
Actually I would think a calcium reactor would be a good addition. If you get a good one, like a geo, you can get it set and walk away from it until you need to fill the co tank or media (3+ months for me). Do you monitor your calcium levels now?

I agree, it'd be great addition and I'd have one if I were doing a big tank. IMO, they're not necessary on a 90, especially one not loaded up with clams and SPS. To me it'd be easier to dose 2 part.

AlexR
07/04/2010, 12:53 AM
Sorry to chime in here, but is there any benefit on having a dosing pump over a calcium reactor other then price? I ask because i have one laying around and i have just started a new 40g reef.

I plan on using it, if needed.

The Punisher
07/04/2010, 01:01 AM
You have a calcium reactor laying around? If so, I'd go with the calcium reactor, it couldn't hurt, and I believe that the initial cost of a good reactor is what makes them one of those items that I could live without on a smaller tank. They may require a little bit of tinkering to get set right but, to me, that's part of the fun of having a reef tank.

AlexR
07/04/2010, 01:05 AM
Right, and its a pita to find a place around where I live that actually refills the CO2 tank. I still havent fount it... But havent searched too hard yet.

I have a korallin from an old tank of mine.

The Punisher
07/04/2010, 01:19 AM
Right, and its a pita to find a place around where I live that actually refills the CO2 tank. I still havent fount it... But havent searched too hard yet.

I have a korallin from an old tank of mine.

That's a good point, and one you need to consider if going with a reactor. That's one of those little things that make it not worth it to me on a smaller tank. On a bigger tank, I think it'd be worth figuring all those things out, but on a smaller tank, when dosing 2 part will work just fine and be relatively easy and inexpensive to keep up with, it seems easier to do.

RokleM
07/05/2010, 09:34 AM
I'm a calcium reactor type of guy. Even on my new 100g LPS only tank, I had GEO build me a new smaller reactor. Two part is to much of a hassle to me.

Look for paintball places, beer/alcohol distributors, welding and/or fire suppression shops, etc. The key point is that you have at least food grade co2.