PDA

View Full Version : 3 days, 3 water changes ??

cjrudy
07/03/2010, 06:15 AM
On Wednesday I noticed my GSP wouldn't open and my Ricordea looked a little shriveled, on Thursday I tested and found my nitrates at almost 20ppm. So Thursday did a 20% water change, no effect. Friday, 20 % water change, down to maybe 15ppm. Today I am trying another 20% water change and hopefully that will do it. All my other fish, invert's and coral seem fine, it's only the GSP and Ricordea I am worried about. Any other suggestions?

nvdiz
07/03/2010, 06:29 AM
GSP and Ricordea are one of the more hardy corals. I wouldn't really worry too much about them, you just need to give them the patience to open up.

As for nitrates, try doing 20% water changes every three days. It will go down, I just think that doing 3 water changes in three days is a little stressful for the reef which may also be preventing the GSP and Ricordea from opening.

cjrudy
07/03/2010, 06:38 AM
GSP and Ricordea are one of the more hardy corals. I wouldn't really worry too much about them, you just need to give them the patience to open up.

As for nitrates, try doing 20% water changes every three days. It will go down, I just think that doing 3 water changes in three days is a little stressful for the reef which may also be preventing the GSP and Ricordea from opening.

Are you saying it may be better to stick with higher Nitrates than the 3 water changes in three days ?

Dave VG
07/03/2010, 06:51 AM
I have had GSP and rics do this before every so often no worries. I think it maybe a cycle they go through now and again. My nitrates hung around 20 to 25 forever even with water changes. Never seemed to bother any of my corals. It’s easy in the salt world to over react not saying you were but a lot of the time people do and they do more harm than good by jumping the gun and throwing things left and right at the tank when in reality they are stressing things more. I always give things a week to come around unless thing detereate fast then I will throw a thing or two at it such as major water change. Good luck

EDit: What have your nitrates been running at say for the last month or so???

cjrudy
07/03/2010, 08:54 AM
Less than 5ppm then all of a sudden a big jump

rick12
07/03/2010, 09:01 AM
if the coral is going to stress over a 20% WC IMO it would be best to do a larger change like 50% and get it overwith. GSP and rics could handle it. try and match your new water parms with the old as much as possible.

noahm
07/03/2010, 09:12 AM
My feeling on larger water changes is just consistency in matching the essential parameters (salinity, temp, pH, etc.) and letting the water age a few days. To me it is like you having a headache because your house is stagnant and full of nasties. You aren't going to stress getting a gob of fresh air. I think the most stressful w/c problems arise when the mixed water isn't allowed to stabilize. That is just my feeling on it, others may disagree, but 20%/day should be fine with properly aged mixed water.

Dave VG
07/03/2010, 09:34 AM
Did something die was the sand bed disturbed? Something caused the spike in the fist place. You will need to find out what that was.

outy
07/03/2010, 09:46 AM
if the coral is going to stress over a 20% WC IMO it would be best to do a larger change like 50% and get it overwith. GSP and rics could handle it. try and match your new water parms with the old as much as possible.

exactly. I do larger water changes at once and get the job done if need be