PDA

View Full Version : How much nori for 2 tangs?

fasteddie99
07/03/2010, 09:13 AM
I have a 3" yellow and a 4" hippo and was wondering just how much nori I should be feeding them on a daily. I have been folding a 2x2 piece in half in a veggi clip which seems like too little for these gluttons but the yellow rips at the sheet to tear big chunks of it off and it floats around the tank...which wouldn't be bad but it always ends up going through a powerhead and go everywhere! Do I need to make even smaller pieces for the clip?

Also, the hippo doesn't rip at the sheet like the yellow does but instead eats some of what the yellow leaves behind floating around. Is this typical for a hippo or will he eventually start feeding from the clip?

I just got the hippo yesterday and the two tangs are like best friends already. There was a little friction most of the day yesterday from the yellow (whick Ive had for a month) but after a night sleeping together they are swimming side by side today

Thanks in advance for the help.

strike2867
07/03/2010, 09:46 AM
My Blue Tang didn't like Nori until he saw a Lavender Tang eating it for a few days. Now he can't get enough. Give him a week, and he will be as aggressive as the Yellow.

TampaReefer79
07/03/2010, 10:03 AM
I hope it works out for you but that's a big hippo going into a tank that's too small for it with an already established tang. On top of it, it's an ich magnet and you didn't QT it. You're off to a bad start in my opinion. You mention the yellow tang has bee in the tank a month, how long has the tank been setup?

Also, every hippo I've ever had was less into the nori than the rest of my tangs. Mine always seemed to be more of a zooplankton and meaty type food lover. They DO eat algae, just don't love it as much as others.

MCCOOL
07/03/2010, 10:18 AM
Also, every hippo I've ever had was less into the nori than the rest of my tangs. Mine always seemed to be more of a zooplankton and meaty type food lover. They DO eat algae, just don't love it as much as others.

+1

also, if you fold the nori over 4 or 5 times, they can't rip off such large chunks.

Indymann99
07/03/2010, 11:18 AM
+1 on fold the Nori a couple of times.. I think I fold a 2"x4" sheet (4) times and put it in the clip so only 3/4" sticks out. This keeps the yellow from tearing off the large chunks. I only feed Nori every other day as I want the tangs to pick at the LR on the "off" days.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/DSC_0296.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/Indymann99/DSC_0297.jpg

fasteddie99
07/03/2010, 11:42 AM
I hope it works out for you but that's a big hippo going into a tank that's too small for it with an already established tang. On top of it, it's an ich magnet and you didn't QT it. You're off to a bad start in my opinion. You mention the yellow tang has bee in the tank a month, how long has the tank been setup?

Yeah I know I am taking a chance but I thought if I went smaller than the yellow he would be bullied even more and be even more stressed out. It was funny seeing him look for a hole to sleep in once the actics only were on. He tried 3 places several times to see which one fit the best.:)
He ended up sleeping in the same nook as the yellow and ever since they've been swimming along side each other.

The hippo tangs have been at my LFS for over a month now and they've been healthy the whole time so I didn't quarantine, my QT is only 10 gal so there again... stress. I have a cleaner shrimp to help out as well. So far so good he's getting along with everyone else. Btw the the tank is only a few months old but is was an entire transfer from an estlished 2 year old 55 gal tank. It's always been quite healthy never having any problems knock on wood.

Anyhow if I can make it a couple years he will be going into a 180.

Thanks for the replies.
:beer:

TampaReefer79
07/03/2010, 01:35 PM
In no way is the tank big enough to house a hippo for a couple years. And I know they looked healthy at the LFS for over a month, but you still need to QT. The LFS is like a disease/parasite breeding ground. Most have all of their systems connected and you have NO idea what disaster is ripping through the system at a given time. And to solve the problem of your QT tank being too small, get a bigger one. Then you won't have the excuse of not QT'ing because your QT is only 10 gallons. lol ;)

kylesmoney
07/03/2010, 03:48 PM
I put about a half of a sheet into my holder. As long as its held in short they usually just snag a couple of small pieces off that float around and they chase them and eat them.