PDA

View Full Version : best calcium supplements

skyshrimp
07/03/2010, 12:58 PM
Hey guys just want some input on calcium supplements. The calcium in my tank is at 390 right now but was excellent when I was using purple up, at about 520. I have a frogspawn, montipora orange cap, trumpet coral, green and brown star polyps, green horn coral, xenia and zoanthids. All are small frags except the frogspawn(5 heads w/ 4 small mew heads), and the green horn which seemed to grow fast untill calcium drop. I don't know if this is why my calcium has dropped or not.
Stats are:
ph-8.2,
alk-10
Phos- 0
Nitrates-0
Nitrites- 0
Ammo-0
Salinity- 1.024

Since yesterday I've been using cacion from brightwell aquatics and still I've seen no change in calcium level. Any one have any experience with this brand? Or can you reccomend a better calcium supplement that ican use in my 75g. Purple up is quite expensive for a bottle and im trying to find a cheaper alternitive. Thanks in advance

DC_40gallon
07/03/2010, 01:10 PM
Purple up is expensive.

Bulkreefsupply.com

It's the best and the easiest to use. You buy a kit, mix it in 1 gallon of rodi nonsalted water and when you need to add more per a low test reading, you go to their site, use the calculator, put in your total water capacity and what your current level is, then put in what you want it to be....presto! It tells you exactly how many ounces of your premade mix to put in. Pour that amount on a powerhead. Leave the room, grade a cold beer and call it a day.

flare1185
07/03/2010, 01:16 PM
Would a calcium reactor or a dosing system do the same thing?

kfisc
07/03/2010, 01:38 PM
Making your own is the best bet- Randy's two part or the Bulk Reef, which is the same thing minus DIY guess work. You'll be glad you quit spending so much on commercial additives.

DC_40gallon
07/03/2010, 02:04 PM
You will definitely be glad to did a bulkreefsupply kit.

They are like $40 for 3 gallons of calcium, 3 gallons of alkalinity and a gallon of magnesium. If that doesn't work for you they have smaller and larger kits.

That tiny bottle of purple up probably cost you $15-20.

A single kit Will last you months into possibly a year.

skyshrimp
07/03/2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks guys I think I might order some of the bulk reef calcium powder stuff that mix and u add to the water. Hopefully my coral growth will resume and take off.

wilsonreefs
07/03/2010, 02:56 PM
If you have a Magnesium test kit, I'm curious to see what it shows.

MandM
07/03/2010, 03:15 PM
The dosers from bulkreefsupply make dosing very easy. I dose ca in the evening and alk in the morning. I just adjust the length of dosing time to raise or lower levels. I mix up a gallon or so of solutions about every 4 weeks.

DC_40gallon
07/03/2010, 05:11 PM
Bulkreefsupply never cease to amaze me! Alk was at 6 today, used the calculator...within 5 min it was at 9.