PDA

View Full Version : New Lights, Algae Bloom AGAIN!!!!

Ryand63
07/03/2010, 03:44 PM
So i upgraded to t5's and my beautiful live rock is now turning brown with diatoms i believe and I am getting some hair algae (lightgreen stringy algae)? How long does it take for my tank to get used to my lights? should i shorten my photoperiod?????

garygonzales
07/03/2010, 04:24 PM
thats exactly what happened to me when i upgraded to newer lights....just give it time it will go away...clean as much off as possible...shorten the light period wouldnt hurt either........

BigOldReef
07/03/2010, 04:36 PM
Changing the color spectrum gives provides a new abundant source of energy for algaes that were being kept in check. The tank should balance itself out in due time. There are so many contingencies as to what that time frame is; tank size, bio load, flow, etc so you can't say that it will take x number of days to fall back into shape.

Keep up on good tank maintenance - cleaning and water changes, and things should come around.

Ston3
07/04/2010, 04:32 AM
That's exactly what happened to me too. I upgraded from 65 w PC to 96 w t5 and in the last two weeks since I upgraded, I've been getting dark brown algae on my LR and LS and some thin hair algae too. Since then, I've beefed up my cuc a little (added 3 trochus, 2 emerald crabs, and a fighting conch.) I know emerald crabs get a bad rep here, but they are doing a hell of a job. I can actually watch them pull the algae off the rocks. I'm still fighting it, but I think I'm on the right track. I will also start running GFO this week.

Good luck to you