PDA

View Full Version : base rock into live

fonzer
07/03/2010, 06:33 PM
i was wondering if i had a few small pieces of new base rock and placed them into my sump, how long would it take for it to be considered "live"?? i rather leave it in my sump than display just in case some algae grows on them.

thanks

Agu
07/03/2010, 07:20 PM
" Live" is hard to define.

It could be colonized by bacteria in a short period of time but still look like base rock. If you're looking for coraline growth it could be from a few weeks to a few months, or longer, depending on the lighting.

fonzer
07/04/2010, 12:19 AM
basically i want to make it "live" enough so i can seed a new tank that ill be starting.

cloak
07/04/2010, 10:52 AM
I would give it at least 3 weeks before relying on it as a biological source. Not that this can't happen in a shorter period of time, it's just that 7-10 days sounds way to fast to me. You want to make sure.

Dave VG
07/04/2010, 11:18 AM
i would give it at least 3 weeks before relying on it as a biological source. Not that this can't happen in a shorter period of time, it's just that 7-10 days sounds way to fast to me. You want to make sure.

x2

fonzer
07/04/2010, 11:18 AM
i was thinking around that duration.

would it be possible to put new sand in a container with a slotted top, leave it in the sump for a month, then consider it "live" as well??

cloak
07/04/2010, 12:16 PM
That would work. You'll want to maximize the surface area for better results though.

tinnghe
07/04/2010, 01:16 PM
How about using "live" waterto start instead? Do a couple water changes and store them Ina large bucket, keep a powerhead in it and make sure the temp don't swing out of range too much. I've done that to a couple of new tank and none have issue with cycling.

fonzer
07/04/2010, 01:30 PM
that sounds like a good idea. ill try do a combination of the rock, sand and water. hopefully i wont have any cycling issues, nor im not in a rush to get it started either ( i dont mind cycling for 2 months or more). i just need a brute container since i only have those 5g home depot ones lying around here. thanks.