PDA

View Full Version : anyone using icecap reef illuminations?

vickreyreef
07/04/2010, 01:52 PM
I was looking for a new lighting system that is all one...MH, T5 and LED and this one fits the bill, however, there are no reviews that I can find so am wondering if anyone here has one and what their thoughts are on it. Additionally I can really only find it being sold by aquacave which has horrendous reviews for customer service. I am leery from ordering there since they say you have to report something wrong within 12 hours of receipt....the odds of me setting up a whole new lighting system the second it is delivered is crazy...won't happen...most likely wont happen for days since would do it on a weekend...so that has me hinky anyhow. I need the 36" and it seems elusive

Whisperer
07/04/2010, 03:14 PM
I just happen to have placed an order from Aquacave and I got me the Belize Sun by Hamilton. I questioned their free shipping on orders over $ 175 but was told it was a heavy item and there was a shipping fee of $39. Hamilton web site asks for $50 shipping. So I went ahead and ordered from Aquacave. Well, when I checked out, there was only $8 for shipping. Then I got an email refunding $8. The only thing is, I ordered last week! I missed the 10% independence day discount.

djwill
07/14/2010, 06:15 AM
Im also looking at both of these. I was leaning toward the Belize, due to the fact it had remote ballasts. How do you like it so far?

dj

vickreyreef
07/14/2010, 07:19 AM
actually I ended up ordering the maristar for a couple of reasons and first and foremost being that the reflectors are much better and I decided to stick with the DE MH...It comes tomorrow and after I fire it up I can let you know if its good. It has remote ballasts for the MH but internal for the T5 but only weighs 12lbs for hanging. I got the galaxy dual electronic ballast.

mule31
07/14/2010, 07:59 AM
I have the icecap T5/LED combination. I really like the light. The LEDs work really well and are very strong and the T5s work great as well. The only complaint I have is that you have to pay attention as to which sets of lights you have on a timer. There are 2 plugs going to the T5 panel and one controls the two exterior lights and one the two middle. The two exterior lights have to be on for the two middle ones to work. So if you have your lights on separate timers it has to be set for the two exterior lights to turn on first and then the two middle t5s. Other than that it is a great light, and I have had no problems with Icecaps customer service or reporting a problem to them.

vickreyreef
07/14/2010, 08:08 AM
yeah the maristar has no LEDs which is a bummer....

mule31
07/14/2010, 08:12 AM
I have the icecap T5/LED combination. I really like the light. The LEDs work really well and are very strong and the T5s work great as well. The only complaint I have is that you have to pay attention as to which sets of lights you have on a timer. There are 2 plugs going to the T5 panel and one controls the two exterior lights and one the two middle. The two exterior lights have to be on for the two middle ones to work. So if you have your lights on separate timers it has to be set for the two exterior lights to turn on first and then the two middle t5s. Other than that it is a great light, and I have had no problems with Icecaps customer service or reporting a problem to them.

zoohoot
07/26/2010, 09:55 PM
I have the Icecap MH/T5/LED fixture as well. Overall I am happy with it. I like that everything is contained in the fixture, and the LEDs are nice for the moonlight effect.

pnavarro170
07/26/2010, 11:05 PM
i just ordered one, ill have pics as soon as i get it in late in the week, no one really has any good pictures of it in a functioning tank.