PDA

View Full Version : Distilled water? for fillup

jtgordon20
07/04/2010, 02:47 PM
I'm going to be filling up my tank when my orders come in this week.
Since my birthday (sunday) is slowing everything down it will be later in the week.
I was wondering if I can use distilled water to fill it up. Its a 20 gallon tall tank so it won't be that much. We don't have a RO/DI unit yet so I can't use my own water.
Its the Great Value 1 gallon distilled water jug from walmart.

rayn
07/04/2010, 02:49 PM
Yep. Used it for top off before I got my RO/DI.

guppy74
07/04/2010, 03:18 PM
jt
Does your Wal-Mart have a place where they sell RO/DI water? Ours does. Its sells the jugs and you can go and refill them for around 39 cents a gallon.

jtgordon20
07/04/2010, 05:13 PM
I've never really looked around at it. The closest walmart to me is sorta in our ghetto ville. If you know what i mean.
What brand is it? And does it say ro/di water. Idk if it matters but what if its drinking water?
Is drinking water bad for a tank?

guppy74
07/04/2010, 06:47 PM
It is in a Machine that dispenses the Water it is by Culligan you buy the Jug at the time of purchase and can refill that jug for around 33 cents a gallon. Check out this site. http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/walmart-culligan-ro-water-specs-from-web-74504.html

outy
07/04/2010, 09:00 PM
I've never really looked around at it. The closest walmart to me is sorta in our ghetto ville. If you know what i mean.
What brand is it? And does it say ro/di water. Idk if it matters but what if its drinking water?
Is drinking water bad for a tank?

yes it can be very bad for long term use, they add allot of minerals for taste.

ro/di is prefered because its labratory grade pure water.

depending on where you get your water you could be facing diatom blooms even with distilled as no silicates are removed.

for a new 20g distilled wont be to bad but I wouldnt get used to it and me, id avoid it from the start