PDA

View Full Version : How many snails?

pd3222
07/04/2010, 07:18 PM
Ive been in reefkeeping for about 7 years now and it seems I can never get a definitive answer on this. I recently started a 120g which I plan on stocking with various soft corals. How many snails are enough for a 120g tank. Ive heard people say 1 per gallon which seems to be too many. Ive typically had 30-50 snails in a 150g I just broke down. This seemed to be about right for that size tank. Any opinions?

locust
07/04/2010, 07:26 PM
I have one snail in my 100g. I think i could get 2 or 3 more and that would be perfect. I also read about some theory saying you should have 1 per gallon, and i can't believe people really do that. To start, the damn things are so expensive. They are around $15-20 each here!! Also, just having one snail i can say that i clean my filter mesh every 2 days and there is so much pellet poop!! I can't imagine what it would be like with 100 snails!!!!! :eek2:

Ritten
07/04/2010, 07:29 PM
At www.reefcleaners.org, there is a tab at the top called "custom clean up crew". You can tell them about your tank and inhabitants and they will email you a recommendation. I have found their recommendations to be conservative and helpful.

flyyyguy
07/04/2010, 07:35 PM
start with a few and add as needed based on your needs

the whole 1 per gallon is a conspiracy theory written by the who sell clean up crews

If they get everyone to buy too many, many of them die and rot creating more excess nutrients making people think they need even more, when they are part of the problem in the first place

that said....I keep 25-50 of them in 800g

Praben
07/05/2010, 12:21 AM
I have about 30-40 in my 120gal. Been adding slowly the six months it's been up. Have 4 astrea, 1 Mex turbo, 2 zebra turbo, 2 fancy nass., 2 bumble bee, 8 cerith, 15 or so sml blk Nass (or something like that). Some have been eaten by my 6 blue hermits. I also have 7 red scarlet hermits and 1 electric blue hermit!

I keep a few in the fuge. I plan on ordering or picking up a few more ceriths. Maybe some nerites. I would like to get around 60-70 by 1 year for sure. My fuge needs more!

I have a friend with a 125gal that easily has 100 and wants more and a friend with a 180 that must have 300+ (most amazing coral collection I've seen at that).

Basically add as you need to IMO. If there in enough algae and stuff on the rocks and glass, they will have food. Obviously large snails (Mex/zebra turbos), you prob shouldn't add too many. Small cerith snails don't eat that much in a day.

Praben
07/05/2010, 12:25 AM
I have one snail in my 100g. I think i could get 2 or 3 more and that would be perfect. I also read about some theory saying you should have 1 per gallon, and i can't believe people really do that. To start, the damn things are so expensive. They are around $15-20 each here!! Also, just having one snail i can say that i clean my filter mesh every 2 days and there is so much pellet poop!! I can't imagine what it would be like with 100 snails!!!!! :eek2:

Where are you paying that much for a snail? That's insane! Seriously if you can't find anywhere else to get them I will ship you some at whatever they cost to get locally! What kind of snail is it? Do you have something else that makes up for them? New tank?