PDA

View Full Version : my green duncan corals are sprouting heads at a fast pace!

timdam
07/04/2010, 09:19 PM
so i bought a green duncan coral with 6 heads two weeks ago. and now, i count 12 heads! 4 of the heads are not fully sprouted yet though, but they are definitely coming in. is it normal for a duncan to be sprouting heads this fast? anyone else have fast success with duncans?

Ritten
07/04/2010, 09:21 PM
Yes, one colony I have grows amazingly fast like you describe. Another one, that looks almost exactly the same only with a little longer tentacles, grows really slow and seems to require direct feeding. Do you direct feed yours?

timdam
07/04/2010, 09:28 PM
not, other than adding marine snow and aquafuel to the system twice a week, i don't directly feed mine.

i'm not trying to brag about my success or anything. cuz i know it's early. i'm still kinda a newbie, and i just wanted to know if this fast growth was normal? so far, it seems like my best investment.

Ston3
07/05/2010, 09:27 AM
I've had two heads of Duncans for 3 weeks and I see 3 New heads sprouting on each head. I guess it's pretty normal. I feed them a small piece of silverside once or twice a week and they really seem to enjoy it.

timdam
07/05/2010, 09:47 AM
so if u feed them directly, do u have to feed every head?

Ston3
07/05/2010, 10:40 AM
To be honest, I'm not sure. But I do know that they'll accept all of it. If you feed all heads, probably feed just a small piece (1/6") or so. Their mouths expand alot but I have given them pieces too big and it's hard for them to engulf it. Try it out, it's really cool watching them eat.

angel_eyez84
07/27/2010, 11:43 AM
i was wondering the same, i started with 6 full heads about 3 months ago and have 13 baby heads now. thats the amount the i could count as mine have really long tentacles. i was expecting alot slower growth. i target feed mine every once and awhile...

timdam
07/27/2010, 12:02 PM
well, it's been almost a month for me now with these new heads. and i will say that these heads are still small though. So growth has slowed down.