PDA

View Full Version : Green hair algae colors

Poonaka
07/05/2010, 10:45 AM
I have green hair algae :( and I'm in the process of trying to defeat it. I noticed that some of it is darker with a hint of brown, while the rest is a pale almost white green.

Is the white green hair algae dying off? Am I finally winning?

Poonaka
07/06/2010, 10:08 AM
bump!

Allmost
07/06/2010, 10:11 AM
or its turning into cyano,

u gotta lower ure nutritions.

Poonaka
07/06/2010, 10:17 AM
or its turning into cyano,

u gotta lower ure nutritions.

I pretty much started over a little while ago due to the hair algae. Unfortunately I didn't have time to cook the rocks. I'm pretty sure it's just the rocks leeching since I:

- use ro/di water
- replaced the sand bed when I did the rebuild
- scrubbed each rock in ro/di water
- feed every other day with frozen food rinsed in ro/di water

I'm just trying to figure out if the end is in sight.

Drewbaby
07/06/2010, 10:18 AM
The stuff that's dying off is easy to remove from the rock. It doesn't have any resistance and in my tank was slightly brown. It could be that it's dying off or it may be another typ of algae it's hard to tell without seeing it in person

it does take a while to beat hair algae because it grows when there is an abundance of nutrients so by the time you get those nutrients in check there has usually been enough time for the algae flourish and the phosphates to be absorbed by the liverock.

Allmost
07/06/2010, 10:49 AM
I pretty much started over a little while ago due to the hair algae. Unfortunately I didn't have time to cook the rocks. I'm pretty sure it's just the rocks leeching since I:

- use ro/di water
- replaced the sand bed when I did the rebuild
- scrubbed each rock in ro/di water
- feed every other day with frozen food rinsed in ro/di water

I'm just trying to figure out if the end is in sight.

hmm it is possible that rinsing the rocks in RO/DI water has killed alot of organisms on it and they are leaking out no3 and po4.

as said above, its either going to another form of algea (which is not bad in my opinion, since I hate hair algea lol others are easier to remove :P) or its dying off,
just give it time :)

u can also increase PH and KH and CA, as that will help nutrilize the Acidity in water hence less chance of algea to grow. but be carefull with this if u choose to do it.

Poonaka
07/06/2010, 10:53 AM
Here's a pic of the algae:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39042809@N07/4767884011/sizes/l/in/set-72157623262205626/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39042809@N07/4767884011/sizes/l/in/set-72157623262205626/

Allmost
07/06/2010, 10:57 AM
that looks like it is becoming slime algea, which in turn might turn into cyano :S

how is the flow ? how old are the bulbs ?

Zeovit products can do wonders in that area, not sure if you want to go that way though :) lol

Poonaka
07/06/2010, 11:04 AM
that looks like it is becoming slime algea, which in turn might turn into cyano :S

how is the flow ? how old are the bulbs ?

Zeovit products can do wonders in that area, not sure if you want to go that way though :) lol

/cry

is slime algae worse than hair?

It's a 90g with:
- 3 x Hydor Koralia 3 (850 GPH)
- 1 x Hydor Koralia 4 (1200 GPH)

Edit: I forgot to mention that I changed the lights 2 weeks ago

Stickboy97
07/06/2010, 02:08 PM
do you have a clean up crew? I started having a hair algae problem... so I pulled as much of it as I could and bought a good clean-up crew. I have 10 or so snails of numerous varieties (but the Turbo snails do the most work) and I also have 10 or so hermits (scarlet, red leg & blue legs). They seem to keep the hair algae in check I do still have a bit of a brown algae problem but they keep most of that down to a reasonable level.

Poonaka
07/06/2010, 02:16 PM
do you have a clean up crew? I started having a hair algae problem... so I pulled as much of it as I could and bought a good clean-up crew. I have 10 or so snails of numerous varieties (but the Turbo snails do the most work) and I also have 10 or so hermits (scarlet, red leg & blue legs). They seem to keep the hair algae in check I do still have a bit of a brown algae problem but they keep most of that down to a reasonable level.

Hard to tell what I have now... Maybe 5 blue legged hermits, 2 red legged. 5 to 10 nassarius snails, 10 ceriths, some astreas. A peppermint shrimp and a sand sifting starfish.

Should I be adding anything?

Allmost
07/06/2010, 02:31 PM
lawnmover blenny will eat it all in matter of days lol haha

I love that ugly fish lol but I personally like to see algea die of itself so I know I fixed the Issue, in your case, it maybe just the rocks cycling.