PDA

View Full Version : Is 6 dKH bad?

Poonaka
07/05/2010, 10:58 AM
My carbonate hardness test says I have a dKH of 6. It also suggests that it should be in the 8 to 12 range. While trying to figure out how to raise the dKH I came across some posts suggesting that 6-7 was ok and that I should leave it there. So now I'm confused :(

Here's the rest of my readings:

ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0
gravity: 1.024
temp: 80.4
ca2: 420-460ppm
PH 7.9

my magnesium test is broken and shows that I have 0

boxerzz
07/05/2010, 11:23 AM
bring it up to at least 8.

cody6766
07/05/2010, 12:44 PM
I like mine around 9. 8-10 seems to be the norm with a few people at 7 and a few around 11-12

Allmost
07/05/2010, 01:10 PM
use soda ash to increase ure DKH value.

Soda ash increases PH, so be careful and only dose small amounts in morning when your PH is at its lowest.

in ULNS systems with SPS corals, such as Zeo systems, if I raise the ALK higher than 8 then the tips of my SPS burn, so hence why its recommended to keep it at 6-7 for ULNS system, regularly it should be around 8-10/

good luck :) after dosing KH, comes dosing for CA and then MG, so its best to look into Randy's DIY receips or BRS or search about balling method online.

Kenzy
07/05/2010, 02:11 PM
Good old Arm and Hammer baking soda found at your local grocery store is also great to bump up alk.

Poonaka
07/05/2010, 03:16 PM
thanks guys! I'll pick up some baking soda and see if I can get it a little higher.

Allmost
07/05/2010, 03:32 PM
Good old Arm and Hammer baking soda found at your local grocery store is also great to bump up alk.

Baked baking soda will have twice the potency in increasing KH and almost no effect on PH !

sodium carbonate to sodium bicarbonate.

ludnix
07/05/2010, 03:45 PM
Baked baking soda will have twice the potency in increasing KH and almost no effect on PH !

It's bicarbonate to carbonate I believe.

Poonaka
07/05/2010, 04:31 PM
Should I bother raising my PH too or just worry about the KH at the moment?

Kenzy
07/05/2010, 04:57 PM
I would just worry about your kh for now, your ph isn't that far off as it is.
Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate which raises kh (I've also seen a slight bump in ph as well)
Baked baking soda is sodium carbonate which raises ph

To get sodium carbonate from sodium bicarbonate you only need to bake it in an oven at 300F for about 30 minutes. There's a recipe around here somewhere for mixing the 2 but its roughly 1:5 parts bicarbonate to carbonate.

Frick-n-Frags
07/06/2010, 06:49 AM

this is ALLmost correct, but actually backwards

sodium BI carbonate has 2 carbonates for every garbage sodium

ergo, baking soda has more moles of carbonate per gram.

secondly, baked baking soda has pH 8.7 or so..it has a way bigger effect on pH than baking soda of pH8.0.

does everyone have this straight? it is important to know the difference between these two, so you can use them to your best advantage.

mike_cmu04
07/06/2010, 09:52 AM
I have had mine at 6 for a few months because i can not consistently keep it higher and i get pretty good growth on my sps.

Allmost
07/06/2010, 10:15 AM
this is ALLmost correct, but actually backwards

sodium BI carbonate has 2 carbonates for every garbage sodium

ergo, baking soda has more moles of carbonate per gram.

secondly, baked baking soda has pH 8.7 or so..it has a way bigger effect on pH than baking soda of pH8.0.

does everyone have this straight? it is important to know the difference between these two, so you can use them to your best advantage.

LOL thanks !

stupid mistake ... lol