PDA

View Full Version : spreading/climbing coral

jon1985
07/05/2010, 12:38 PM
I have an overflow pipe that is very visable in my tank. I want to hide is without covering it in rock. I have had a few ideas.

1- glue some xenia to it and let it spread. Will it grow up and down the tube?

2-glue some zoas and let them spread. will they grow up and down the tube?

3-sculpt some reef epoxy to the same of a tube and glue a monti cap to it. Do this with several peices at different levels and angles.

How do you think each idea would work and how do you think it would look?

Any other ideas?

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=44225.20

There are pics on page 2 of this thread. I am more concerned about the overflow on the right side of the tank

imnotanerd
07/05/2010, 01:01 PM
It should work just fine I have star polyps that cover up my otherflow box.

jon1985
07/05/2010, 01:02 PM
I had thought about GSP but was worried they would take over my tank.

makoslo
07/05/2010, 03:25 PM
If you have the space, I'd go with several types of monti cap. And maybe add some zoanthids to help fill in the space.

mfinn
07/05/2010, 04:18 PM
I have GSP growing across the back of my tank and I have no worries it will take over.
It will only take over if you let it.

Rybren
07/05/2010, 04:54 PM
I have found that Xenia grows up and sideways quite well, but none of mine has ever moved down. You can lean a chunk of Xenia rock against the bottom of the over flow. Within a couple of days, it will likely attach.

ludnix
07/05/2010, 05:22 PM
Zoanthids would be my personal choice since they stay nice and short.

JAustin
07/05/2010, 06:27 PM
zoas for sure. Put 2-3 of them every inch or two and they will cover it in a couple months.

Frick-n-Frags
07/06/2010, 06:40 AM
I have found that Xenia grows up and sideways quite well, but none of mine has ever moved down. You can lean a chunk of Xenia rock against the bottom of the over flow. Within a couple of days, it will likely attach.

heh, EXACTLY what i was going to say. they only go up. zoos, in the long term are awesome when they cover a wall or overflow. that would be my vote

jon1985
07/06/2010, 03:06 PM
hmm ok maybe Ill try zoes if I can find some cheapish frags. I didnt have any luck with them in my last tank but alot of this tank is different. They stayed alive but never grew or spread.

BunkerCA
07/06/2010, 03:10 PM
I like mushrooms, they cover a good amount of space per stalk, expecially if you get a decent size fuzzy shroom or even elephant ear.

Can be a bit tricky to stick though. You may want to get them stuck to a rock then epoxy the rock to the overflow tube.