PDA

View Full Version : What are a few parameters to look at/find out if your tank is going to crash?

Western_reefer
07/05/2010, 12:38 PM
What are a few parameters to look at/find out if your tank is going to crash? If your pH and/or ORP go out of whack, then your tank will crash?

Western_reefer
07/07/2010, 09:28 AM
Bump.

Allmost
07/07/2010, 09:38 AM
anything out of whack will crash the tank, including dissolved oxygen or PH.

its the mysterious crashes that are of question. which I think is a result of using one type of methods and promoting mono culture of bacteria which is unstable.

Western_reefer
07/07/2010, 10:16 AM
anything out of whack will crash the tank, including dissolved oxygen or PH.

its the mysterious crashes that are of question. which I think is a result of using one type of methods and promoting mono culture of bacteria which is unstable.

Ok, because I was thinking about buying a Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Elite (Net) Controller and hooking up an automated water change system just in case the pH/ORP starts to go out of whack, it changes some water before the tank gets worse.

Allmost
07/07/2010, 10:32 AM
some ppl are doing automatic water changes, using 2 pumps, one empties while other fills. but you need to be VERY carefull with salinity levels, and be SURE that both pumps are working the same. I personally wont risk it !

you can use the RKE to monitor PH and OPR and other parameters though, and make changes or add stuff as you see Issues.
usually once a week water change is sufficient. a good quality skimmer will also ensure your oxygen levels :)

rigleautomotive
07/07/2010, 11:14 AM
What are a few parameters to look at/find out if your tank is going to crash? If your pH and/or ORP go out of whack, then your tank will crash?

Good question.
I actually think closely observing your corals daily is a much better indicator then a parameter for a crash.I can usually tell something is off with a parameter when PE or color is not quite right and then test and correct.Sometimes its not a parameter but a flow issue(dirty tunze etc...)or a pest ,(fish picking,AEFW) and these are things that a test kit or monitor would not catch.

Western_reefer
07/08/2010, 09:27 AM
Good question.
I actually think closely observing your corals daily is a much better indicator then a parameter for a crash.I can usually tell something is off with a parameter when PE or color is not quite right and then test and correct.Sometimes its not a parameter but a flow issue(dirty tunze etc...)or a pest ,(fish picking,AEFW) and these are things that a test kit or monitor would not catch.

No, I meant like, you can't do a water change if something goes wrong when your not home or your sleeping, so, the controller will start to do the water change for you.