PDA

View Full Version : Salinity Probe

Ken Good
07/05/2010, 02:46 PM
I have noticed that my salinity probe gets way off at times. It seems like it comes back with me fiddling with it. At first I thought the probe had a short, but I believe that it is just getting interference from the cords from the ph probe, temp. probe and the orp probe. I took all the other cords and got them a way from the salinity probe and the problem went away.

Has anyone else seen this?

Ken

bmwaaron
07/06/2010, 06:18 PM
My Salinity probe died after a year or so of use. Not sure what killed it.

hlsooner
07/07/2010, 11:46 AM
I had a similar experience with my salinity probe. Readings started shifting, I recalibrated several times, but finally it refused to calibrate and died. I have not replaced it, back to a good old calibrated refractometer.

AQD_ottawa
07/07/2010, 02:34 PM
The bottom line is if it fails and is under warranty then get it replaced, but to date we have not had one single warranty case for a salinity probe in 5 years.

the biggest issue is not cleaning regularly, like any device it needs maintenance.

As long as you stop coraline build up and do not scratch the platinum they will last for years and years.

My probe was installed 5 months ago it has been calibrated twice and cleaned every two weeks.

The probe is the most popular GHL probe also. I think if I remember Aaron your issue was with the BNC connector, we advised you to have this replaced as the cable had got kinked and damaged.

http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1948

bmwaaron
07/07/2010, 05:37 PM
The bottom line is if it fails and is under warranty then get it replaced, but to date we have not had one single warranty case for a salinity probe in 5 years.

the biggest issue is not cleaning regularly, like any device it needs maintenance.

As long as you stop coraline build up and do not scratch the platinum they will last for years and years.

My probe was installed 5 months ago it has been calibrated twice and cleaned every two weeks.

The probe is the most popular GHL probe also. I think if I remember Aaron your issue was with the BNC connector, we advised you to have this replaced as the cable had got kinked and damaged.

http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1948

Well it was suggested that I get the BNC connector replaced but I have no idea where to get a mini bnc connector and with the cost of the crimp tool it would not be cost effective especially since this just a guess. I also dont have a defective probe laying around that I can cut up.
How long is the warranty period for these probes?
I would guess that they will last a year no problem but for over $200 to do it every year would get very expensive.

AQD_ottawa
07/07/2010, 07:00 PM
Hi,

As the reply says to your post on the GHL forum, a BNC connector was offered to you and as you are replacing the connector with the lead from another probe there is no need for any crimp tool.

If the probe is less than a year old as of now it is covered by warranty.

Each probe has a white number and letter code on it, this tells us how old the probe is.